[comp.sys.mac] ToMultiFinder FKEY - Anyone?

chris@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Chris Schanzle) (01/03/89)

I still find it a pain to switch to MultiFinder (MF) after I've
booted without it...opening the system folder (with 75+ icons in
there), finding MF, command-option double-clicking on it).  With a
one-meg Mac+, I can't just run MF all the time. :-(

How trivial would it be for someone to write an FKEY to launch
MultiFinder from the current system folder?  If the user is in an
application, it would "Quit" in the normal fashion (as if the user
selected "Quit"), then launch MF.  A single beep would be
appropriate if either MF is already active or doesn't exist in the
current System Folder.  It would be slick if it could relaunch the
same application it was in before launching MF.

Of course, before I get the flames -- has this already been done?--
ARPA   : chris@umbc3.UMD.EDU		BITNET : chris@umbc
       : nerwin!umbc3

Speed it up.  Keep it simple.  Ship it on time.    -- Bill Atkinson

kiyun@mirror.UUCP (KiYun Roe) (01/06/89)

In article <1513@umbc3.UMD.EDU> chris@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Chris Schanzle) writes:
>How trivial would it be for someone to write an FKEY to launch
>MultiFinder from the current system folder?  If the user is in an
>application, it would "Quit" in the normal fashion (as if the user
>selected "Quit"), then launch MF.

The next best thing is to write a little application that does nothing
but launch MultiFinder from the current blessed folder.  I wrote such
an application which I keep in a convenient folder or on the desktop.
Thus, I don't have to open my system folder to launch MultiFinder.
This is also a lot better than making a copy of MultiFinder and
changing its type to 'APPL', since you would have to do this each time
Apple released a new MultiFinder.

If you have QuickKeys or something similar, you could arrange to assign
a key combination to the launcher.  QuickKeys already knows to Quit the
current application if necessary.

----
KiYun Roe	kiyun@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!kiyun
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA  02140
Telephone:	617-661-0777 Ext. 140