[comp.sys.mac] Turbo Pascal

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (07/01/87)

Given the excellent review of Turbo Pascal, does anyone know if it works
on the Mac II, and if so, if it has all of the definitions for the new
data structures, constants, etc. needed for the Mac II?

Jeff Harrow

leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (07/03/87)

In article <10646@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>Given the excellent review of Turbo Pascal, does anyone know if it works
>on the Mac II, and if so, if it has all of the definitions for the new
>data structures, constants, etc. needed for the Mac II?
>
>Jeff Harrow

I have been using Turbo to develop a large simulation program (475k compiled)
and things have gone very well.  I have been working on both a Plus and a II.
The biggest problem with Turbo is no make/project capability.  Recompiling
n units where n -> oo is pretty boring, but at 50k lines/min on a Mac II
it goes by quickly |-).

LSP does not work on the Mac II as far as I know, no doubt a fix is in the
works.  Turbo as you buy it now (I think - at least the following is true for
the copy I have) only work partially on the II.  You can compile files to
disk or memory but you cannot run them under Turbo.  If you try you will
do fine until you return to Turbo.  If you select something from a menu
immediately you will get an ID-01 bomb.  This will eventually happen, but
usually not immediately, if you just start typing.

Anyway, I sent a letter to Borland and got a Beta Mac II compatible version.
Now everything is just as it was on the Mac Plus - but FASTER!

I don't know if the currently shipping version of Turbo is the Mac II
compatible version.  The About box on the Mac II beta version still said
version 1.00 so I can't say to look for a new version.  Calling Borland
may get you some additional info.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with Turbo; if I just had a make/project
capability I would even be willing to put off learning MPW when it arrives!

Hope this helps,

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@glacier.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (07/04/87)

In article <10646@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
> Given the excellent review of Turbo Pascal, does anyone know if it works
> on the Mac II, and if so, if it has all of the definitions for the new
> data structures, constants, etc. needed for the Mac II?
>
> Jeff Harrow

Yes, it runs on the Mac II (and the other '20s, such as Levco, and GCC).
Not yet, but they have been announced by Borland as being available RSN.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team

jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (01/05/89)

Does anyone know when the next version of Turbo Pascal for the Mac is coming
out?  Version 1.1 has been out for a long, long time, but I have heard nothing
about an update (which is needed, as 1.1 has problems with Multifinder, the
new Macromaker facility, and perhaps other assorted things...).

Has anyone out there used both Turbo and LSP?  Should I switch to LSP?

Thanks in advance,

Jay Boisseau (jay@astro.as.utexas.edu)

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/07/89)

jay@utastro.UUCP(Jay Boisseau) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Does anyone know when the next version of Turbo Pascal for the Mac is coming
>out?  Version 1.1 has been out for a long, long time, but I have heard nothing
>about an update (which is needed, as 1.1 has problems with Multifinder, the
>new Macromaker facility, and perhaps other assorted things...).

	It is my understanding (based on VERY reliable information) that even though
a version 2.0 of Turbo Pascal exists (and is a pretty hot product), Borland
currently has NO intentions of releasing it (for reasons that I do not know).

>Has anyone out there used both Turbo and LSP?  Should I switch to LSP?

	Based on the above info, plus my personal experience - GET LSP!

Disclaimer: I think the folks at Symantec/Think better than those at Borland!

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +