[comp.sys.mac] INIT 30, Fancy Mouse Tracking

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (12/02/88)

	In last weeks MacWeek magazine there is a wonderful
box which lists all the resources that the Installer updates
removes, or installs, when you upgrade to System 6.02.
	One of those is  INIT 30, for Fancy Mouse
Tracking. Its only 318 Bytes long. Furthermore its not
installed when you use the minimal script.

	Does anyone know what this does?

	I have tried taking it out, and putting it back (rebooting
of course), and playing with the control panel mouse settings
but I can't tell any difference.

	Must be some subtle effect!

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm@fusion.utexas.edu

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (12/19/88)

In article <8420@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
>	In last weeks MacWeek magazine there is a wonderful
>box which lists all the resources that the Installer updates
>removes, or installs, when you upgrade to System 6.02.
>	One of those is  INIT 30, for Fancy Mouse
>Tracking. Its only 318 Bytes long. Furthermore its not
>installed when you use the minimal script.
>
>	Does anyone know what this does?
>
>	I have tried taking it out, and putting it back (rebooting
>of course), and playing with the control panel mouse settings
>but I can't tell any difference.
>
>	Must be some subtle effect!

Prior to Macintosh II, there were only 2 mouse speeds.  INIT 30 replaces
this with the five speeds now available today.  It is not needed for the
Mac II, as it is in ROM.

						_emt

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (12/20/88)

In article <22462@apple.Apple.COM> tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) writes:

>Prior to Macintosh II, there were only 2 mouse speeds.  INIT 30 replaces
>this with the five speeds now available today.  It is not needed for the
>Mac II, as it is in ROM.
>
>						_emt

I'd like more!  I know there's a commercial CDEV that does this, but, $50
for the ability to change 8 bytes in memory seems too high.  Does anyone
know how to get a handle to these 8 bytes?  I couldn't find anything in
IM or tech notes.

Thanks

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (01/05/89)

In article <65919@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@m2.UUCP (Fred Hollander) writes:
>In article <22462@apple.Apple.COM> tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) writes:
>>Prior to Macintosh II, there were only 2 mouse speeds.  INIT 30 replaces
>>this with the five speeds now available today.  It is not needed for the
>>Mac II, as it is in ROM.
>
>I'd like more!  I know there's a commercial CDEV that does this, but, $50
>for the ability to change 8 bytes in memory seems too high.  Does anyone
>know how to get a handle to these 8 bytes?  I couldn't find anything in
>IM or tech notes.

It's in the system file.  Resources 'mcky' numbered 0 to 4 are the ones to
change.  0 is tablet, 4 is fastest.

						_emt

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (01/08/89)

In article <23342@apple.Apple.COM> tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) writes:
>In article <65919@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@m2.UUCP (Fred Hollander) writes:
>>In article <22462@apple.Apple.COM> tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) writes:
>>>Prior to Macintosh II, there were only 2 mouse speeds.  INIT 30 replaces
>>>this with the five speeds now available today.  It is not needed for the
>>>Mac II, as it is in ROM.
>>
>>I'd like more!  I know there's a commercial CDEV that does this, but, $50
>>for the ability to change 8 bytes in memory seems too high.  Does anyone
>>know how to get a handle to these 8 bytes?  I couldn't find anything in
>>IM or tech notes.
>
>It's in the system file.  Resources 'mcky' numbered 0 to 4 are the ones to
>change.  0 is tablet, 4 is fastest.
>
>						_emt

There is also a CDEV called Pointing Device 1.2 that will modify the mcky
resources.  I thought I got it off comp.binaries, but I will send to the
moderator if he asks.

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro        |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |