[comp.sys.mac] Dollars and Sense end of year

zaccone@shire.cs.psu.edu (Rick Zaccone) (01/04/89)

I've just ended the year in Dollars and Sense using the "Close Year" (I
think that's what it's called) command.  This creates an archive file
with last years transactions.   Now I'm getting ready to prepare my
income tax, and I'd like to go back and look at some of those
transactions.  However, I can't figure out how to do it, and the manual
isn't any help.  I tried to de-archive the transactions, but the
archive file doesn't show up in list of files to open!  Has anyone
done this successfully?

Rick Zaccone
zaccone@bknlvms.bitnet
zaccone@rigel.bucknell.edu

john@altos86.UUCP (John Corwin) (01/07/89)

In article <4190@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> zaccone@shire.cs.psu.edu (Rick Zaccone) writes:
>I've just ended the year in Dollars and Sense using the "Close Year" (I
>think that's what it's called) command.  This creates an archive file
>with last years transactions.   Now I'm getting ready to prepare my
>income tax, and I'd like to go back and look at some of those
>transactions.  However, I can't figure out how to do it, and the manual
>isn't any help.  I tried to de-archive the transactions, but the
>archive file doesn't show up in list of files to open!  Has anyone
>done this successfully?

I, too, recently closed the 1988 year in Dollars and Sense.  I am not
exactly sure what this did, but I can still access all of the transactions
for 1988.  The manual says that it keeps 2 years worth of info available.

I am still able to add new transactions for 1988 and D & S then gives me
a warning message with the option to cancel it or not.

I didn't start using D & S until early 1988, so I've never been through
the exercise of closing a year or preparing taxes based on the D & S
accounts.  You are right when you say that the manual isn't much help.
Has anyone else out there closed a year with Dollars and Sense?  Are
there any things that we should watch out for?

John Corwin, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose, CA

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (01/08/89)

In article <791@altos86.UUCP> John Corwin writes:
>I, too, recently closed the 1988 year in Dollars and Sense.  I am not
>exactly sure what this did, but I can still access all of the transactions
>for 1988.  The manual says that it keeps 2 years worth of info available.

As you say, Dollars and Sense maintains two years of transactions online.
What actually gets created during "Close Year" is an archive of the year
before last's transactions (i.e. 1987).  Since you didn't start using
Dollars and Sense before 1988, there were no transactions for 1987.
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug