[comp.sys.mac] General CDEV

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (01/03/89)

The GENERAL cdev vanishes from my hardrive occationaly.  I have an old
Mac+ running System Tools 5.  Occationally the General CDEV dissapears from
the system folder as if deleted.  I have replaced the file twice and it
still happens.  I also notice that hierDA 0.9961 lists Startup Device as a
cdev, yet it does not appear on the control panel list...
I don't remember seeing it on the list before..

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro        |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (01/04/89)

In article <3663@crash.cts.com> victoro@crash.cts.com (Dr. Snuggles) writes:
> I also notice that hierDA 0.9961 lists Startup Device as a
> cdev, yet it does not appear on the control panel list...
> I don't remember seeing it on the list before..
>
> |  Victor O'Rear

cdev files contain specific information concerning the various configurations
of Macintosh they're applicable to, the theory being that "control panel"
choices are going to vary widely according to the specific hardware and
software in your machine.  HierDA can't tell which cdevs are appropriate
to your machine without loading them and inquiring; consequently you may
get ones showing in your control panel submenu which the control panel
itself knows are not relevant (and therefore not visible) on your machine.

No idea why the "General" cdev might disappear from your system folder though.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

cyosta@taux02.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (01/09/89)

Does anyone know how to make the Map CDEV show up in the control panel?
I am running Z-6.0.2 (international version of 6.0.2) on a 512Ke (with 2M).
In previous release I was able to make the Map show up by hacking its 'mach'
resource to include all machines.  In 6.0.2 this does not work.  I am running
the XPRAM INIT which "adds" the needed EPROM that the 512Ke lacks compared
to the Mac+.  The Sound CDEV shows up with no problems.  Send responses to
me and I will summerize to the net if need be.  Thanks in advance.
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki