[comp.sys.mac] Vaccine INIT/CDEV v 1.0.1

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/10/89)

A couple of days ago, I downloaded from a local (usually reliable) BBS a
copy of Vaccine that alleges to be "Vaccine version 1.0.1".  It came
without any significant documentation.

Compared to the 1.0 version I had been using:

			Size in bytes	Creation date
Vaccine 1.0		11,875		March 21, 1988
Vaccine 1.0.1		11,967		December 21, 1988

There appear to be no significant differences in the informative
messages printed by these two versions.

I can imagine that the 1.0.1 version might be one of two things:

1) It could be a legitimate update to 1.0, which fixes a bug [perhaps
   Vaccine's habit of causing system crashes when an infected
   application is launched?]

2) It could be a trojan-horse modification of Vaccine 1.0, with some
   modifications that would permit infection by some as-yet-unknown
   virus at a future time.

Does anyone out there have any information about this alleged update to
Vaccine?

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

jac@petsd.UUCP (Jim Clausing) (01/10/89)

<
<Compared to the 1.0 version I had been using:
<
<			Size in bytes	Creation date
<Vaccine 1.0		11,875		March 21, 1988
<Vaccine 1.0.1		11,967		December 21, 1988
<
[...]
<Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805

Dave,
	I would be very wary of this 1.0.1, since the author of the original
(someone at CE, Don Brown maybe?) stated in no uncertain terms, that there
would be only the single version of Vaccine.  Since he did it on his own as
a public service he had no intention of taking time away from his paying job
to continually upgrade this.  If anyone has more info on this, I would also
be interested, but I'm quite happy with Vaccine even as it now stands.
--
Jim Clausing			CI$:   74726, 2015
Parallel Processing Tools Grp.	GEnie: J.CLAUSING

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/11/89)

In article <17559@coherent.com> I wrote:

> A couple of days ago, I downloaded from a local (usually reliable) BBS a
> copy of Vaccine that alleges to be "Vaccine version 1.0.1".  It came
> without any significant documentation.
>
> Does anyone out there have any information about this alleged update to
> Vaccine?

In the 16 hours since I posted this note, I've received two
confirmations that Vaccine 1.0.1 is in fact a legitimate release by CE
Software.  The sysop of the BBS from which I downloaded it (Ray Terry,
MacScience BBS) wrote to say that Vaccine 1.0.1 came  directly from the
CE Software support area on MacNET.  Robert Thumb wrote to say that he'd
contacted CE Software directly, and had been told that 1.0.1 is a valid
release that fixes a couple of bugs.  [It does not, however, contain a
specific trap for the Hpat mutation of the nVIR virus... I checked its
critical-resource list, and Hpat had not been added to the list.]

So... I'm relieved to report that Vaccine 1.0.1 is not a bandit release
or a trojan horse... it's legitimate.  I'll post a copy to
comp.binaries.mac and Info-Mac shortly.