[comp.sys.mac] Net Trek on a Mac II Bombs, why?

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (01/04/89)

I got a copy of Net Trek the other day and every time I try to run it on
my Mac II it bombs with a bus error right after the opening screen.  It seems
to run fine on my Mac SE and Plus at work though.  I turned off the cache in
hopes it would solve the problem but it doesn't.  Any ideas why it bombed?

Marty Lee
              teksce           (Fastest path)
          /            \
tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
              \        /
               percival

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (01/08/89)

In article <1194@bucket.UUCP> martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) writes:

>I got a copy of Net Trek the other day and every time I try to run it on
>my Mac II it bombs with a bus error right after the opening screen.  It seems
>to run fine on my Mac SE and Plus at work though.  I turned off the cache in
>hopes it would solve the problem but it doesn't.  Any ideas why it bombed?

In the hope that this will answer other peoples questions, Net Trek II runs
fine on a Mac II.  I have three friends who will back me up on this.  The
new NetTrek was posted to comp.binaries.mac some time ago and is in my
MUG file collection, check your local group.  In addition, I have the author's
net address to report bug reports about NetTrek 2.0 if that's the one you are
having problems with.

Version 2.0 does not support color or more then five users but it does
introduce computer players if you are playing alone.  ANd a new ship type.

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro        |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

carr@Apple.COM (Randy Carr) (01/11/89)

In article <3676@crash.cts.com> victoro@crash.CTS.COM (Dr. Snuggles) writes:
>In article <1194@bucket.UUCP> martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) writes:
>>
>>I got a copy of Net Trek the other day and every time I try to run it on
>>my Mac II it bombs with a bus error right after the opening screen.  It seems
>>to run fine on my Mac SE and Plus at work though.  I turned off the cache in
>>hopes it would solve the problem but it doesn't.  Any ideas why it bombed?
>>

>In the hope that this will answer other peoples questions, Net Trek II runs
>fine on a Mac II.  I have three friends who will back me up on this.  The
>new NetTrek was posted to comp.binaries.mac some time ago and is in my
>MUG file collection, check your local group.  In addition, I have the author's
>net address to report bug reports about NetTrek 2.0 if that's the one you are
>having problems with.
>
>Version 2.0 does not support color or more then five users but it does
>introduce computer players if you are playing alone.  ANd a new ship type.
>|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro        |

Hi, I'm the author of NetTrek.

Well, first of all, NetTrek is not a public domain, nor is it shareware.  There
is my name and address in the first info screen that says something like share-
ware & $25.00, but I put his there because I was showing it to several
publishers at the time and I didn't trust them (and still don't).  The first versions that began appearing on several bulletin boards is dated 10.30.86, and is
full of terrible bugs, as I was still very much in a testing stage (and I guess
always have been).  This original version will sometimes run on a MacII.

For reasons that may never be known, NetTrek was distributed and found its way
on to most major bulletin boards w/o my control.  I have never really released
anything official or 'bug free'.

The most major bug that was present on the original (10.30.86 version) was that
I created a bus error as soon as the intro screen appears on any mac that has a
screen area larger than 360 lines vertical by 512 pixels.

The bus error comes from where I calculate the screen address of the stars that
show up near the bottom of the screen. But I was an idiot and used integer
arithmetic for the calculation.  Someone once mentioned that putting in Macsbug
sometimes eleviates the problem (but probably crashes Macsbug).

There appears to be a 'new' version 2.0 of NetTrek now on some systems, and once
again, I can't figure out how it got out.  As in the original 10.30.86 version
(known as version 1.0 sometimes), there are more bugs than you can name.

NetTrek's marketing rights have been obtained by PBI Software, Inc. and we're
planning a release very soon.  The new version has a full blown single player
mode, multicolored icons (Mac II, of course), is multifinder compatible, and
will run in the backround, etc.

For versions that are presently available, I don't expect you to 'delete those
versions from your hard disk' as this is an impossibility.  Instead, I ask that
you spread the word about the real story behind NetTrek, and be patient waiting
for the real release.

Have Fun.

Randy Carr                                          Network Systems Development
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...

P.S. I think you'll like the forthcoming 'real' version, but no, it won't run
across a modem (until we get to 19K baud or better)...