[comp.sys.mac] Mac/Grappler/Printer Question

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (01/05/89)

I have a Panasonic 1092i printer with which I'm
quite happy. (I'm currently using it with my
Kaypro 2 at home.) I'm considering getting a
Mac to use at home. Does anyone know whether
I can just hook up a Grappler in the middle
and use my Panasonic? I note that Grapplers
are sold in ads alongside similar Panasonic
models.

The general question is: with which printers
is the Grappler (or any competitors if they
exist) compatible?

Thanks for any response.

Steve Goldfield

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (01/05/89)

>The general question is: with which printers
>is the Grappler (or any competitors if they exist) compatible?

Contact the company and ask them.  When I did, they were pretty frank
about which printers worked well and where there were problems (of
those printers they've tested).  Also they can provide optimal dip
switch settings.

aschool@unet.UUCP (Adam Schoolsky) (01/07/89)

In article <19318@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) writes:
>>The general question is: with which printers
>>is the Grappler (or any competitors if they exist) compatible?
>
>Contact the company and ask them.  When I did, they were pretty frank
>about which printers worked well and where there were problems (of
>those printers they've tested).  Also they can provide optimal dip
>switch settings.

I used a Grappler with a Panasonic KXP-1092i with excellent results. The
grappler folks (Orange Micro) claim their device is *comaptible* with all
epson *FX* or *MX* compatible printers.

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (01/11/89)

In article <199@unet.UUCP> aschool@unet.PacBell.COM (Adam Schoolsky) writes:
>In article <19318@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) writes:
>>>With which printer is the Grappler compatible?
>>Contact the company and ask them.  When I did, they were pretty frank ...
>The grappler folks (Orange Micro) claim their device is *comaptible* with all
>epson *FX* or *MX* compatible printers.

There are different degrees of compatibility.  I've used it with two
supposedly epson FX compatible printers, and each had idiosyncracies
that required different dip switch settings on the Grapper.  It saved
me time to just get the optimal settings from Orange Micro itself.
Not all problems can be dealt with however.