[comp.sys.mac] Radius/Fullwrite

lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) (01/10/89)

I have a Radius Two Page monitor and am using
the feature to get a large font in the menus (since there
are more dpi on the radius).

I also have been trying out a copy of FullWrite and I
like it.  But there's a problem....

FullWrite somehow manages to use the small font in the menus
even though it (or the menu system) has sized the menu with
the larger font, leaving lots of empty white space at the bottom
of every menu.

FullWrite is the only application (so far) that does this.
Is this FullWrite's fault?  Radius' fault?  Is it fixed in
a newer version of FullWrite?

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/10/89)

in article <13009@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) says:

> I have a Radius Two Page monitor and am using
> the feature to get a large font in the menus (since there
> are more dpi on the radius).
>
> I also have been trying out a copy of FullWrite and I
> like it.  But there's a problem....
>
> FullWrite somehow manages to use the small font in the menus
> even though it (or the menu system) has sized the menu with
> the larger font, leaving lots of empty white space at the bottom
> of every menu.
>
> FullWrite is the only application (so far) that does this.
> Is this FullWrite's fault?  Radius' fault?  Is it fixed in
> a newer version of FullWrite?

I've got the same configuration - a Radius two-page display and FullWrite.
I think it's FullWrite's fault. FW does its own thing with menus - any color
set for menus doesn't carry over to FW; the menus don't tear off (VERY
frustrating). I suspect that FW uses its own menu routines, overlaying anything
else the system may be doing.

I know an upgrade is in the works, but I don't imagine that this will be
"fixed," since it's a major part of how FW does menus. (Remember what
happens when you press Option and drop down a menu? Remember walkdown
menus?)

As for FW, it's OK for manuals of 50 pages or less - in fact it's very
good for that - but I've just about had it with books. I'm seriously
considering going to Interleaf, even if it is the most expensive
piece of Mac software around...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/10/89)

In article <13009@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>I have a Radius Two Page monitor and am using
>the feature to get a large font in the menus (since there
>are more dpi on the radius).

	I recommend not using any of the neato-keen Radius features
to ensure maximum compatibility. Since FullWrite doesn't use the normal Mac
menu manager, the Radius hooks don't affect anything that FullWrite does.

>Is this FullWrite's fault?  Radius' fault?  Is it fixed in
>a newer version of FullWrite?

	The fault lies in both places; in this case,  mostly with FullWrite...
(At least in my estimation.)

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

roger@homxc.ATT.COM (Another Technical Editor) (01/10/89)

In article <13009@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

> I have a Radius Two Page monitor and am using
> the feature to get a large font in the menus (since there
> are more dpi on the radius).
>
> FullWrite somehow manages to use the small font in the menus
> even though it (or the menu system) has sized the menu with
> the larger font, leaving lots of empty white space at the bottom
> of every menu.
>
> FullWrite is the only application (so far) that does this.
> Is this FullWrite's fault?  Radius' fault?  Is it fixed in
> a newer version of FullWrite?

We've encountered menu problems with Pagemaker and MacDraw 1.9,
although none of them are exactly like yours so far.
In the last stable edition of Pagemaker version 2, some
menus wouldn't appear in the large font. In Pagemaker
3.01, the large fonts appear, but when I move up and down
in the Type menu, some menu items are redrawn 1 1/2 lines
above where they should be. Old MacDraw was even more
confusing - the Lines menu displayed lines in "small"
format but you could only pick them in "large" format.
To get the line I really wanted, I'd have to pick an item
2 1/3 lines below the displayed line. Confusing.

Roger Tait                             ..att!homxc!roger
(201) 949-1136                                 HO 1C-313
AT&T Bell Labs Technical Publications        Holmdel, NJ
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Technical Writers."

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (01/10/89)

In article <13009@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

> FullWrite somehow manages to use the small font in the menus
> even though it (or the menu system) has sized the menu with

FullWrite does it's own menu management, and this is what causes your
problem.  I don't know of a way around it.  FullWrite's implementation
causes problems with a number of inits, cdevs, etc. that play with menus.

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM  or  att!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Bell Laboratories          <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/11/89)

In article <696@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

<As for FW, it's OK for manuals of 50 pages or less - in fact it's very
<good for that - but I've just about had it with books. I'm seriously
<considering going to Interleaf, even if it is the most expensive
<piece of Mac software around...

On page 253 of the February MacUser, there is a short item about some new
competetion for Interleaf Publisher. It is a set of modules which only
cost $990 for all of them and you don't necessarily have to have all of
them. The basic software is called TechScriber (hmm, I have a business by
the name of TechScribe that I never use anymore).

Contact Mansfield Systems
	550 Hamilton Ave., Suite 200
	Palo Alto, CA 94301
	(415) 326-0603

I don't know if this is available now, but it kind of sounds like it is.

Shirley Kehr

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/11/89)

In article <696@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

<As for FW, it's OK for manuals of 50 pages or less - in fact it's very
<good for that - but I've just about had it with books. I'm seriously
<considering going to Interleaf, even if it is the most expensive
<piece of Mac software around...

Woops - regarding the previous post about TechScriber: "TechScriber should
debut in the second quarter of '89 and will run on all Macs with 1
megabyte of RAM and a hard disk."  (Sorry about not reading too carefully)

Shirley Kehr

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (01/12/89)

In article <3824@druhi.ATT.COM> cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) writes:
>In article <13009@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:
>
>> FullWrite somehow manages to use the small font in the menus
>> even though it (or the menu system) has sized the menu with
>
>FullWrite does it's own menu management, and this is what causes your
>problem.  I don't know of a way around it.  FullWrite's implementation
>causes problems with a number of inits, cdevs, etc. that play with menus.

Something that *might* help is an INIT called FWP Diddler, from Fred Reed
at IMI Software (the folks who wrote On Cue). On Cue doesn't work well with
FWP, so Fred wrote the INIT which does some patching to FWP to make things
work (for example, he claims that HierDA will now work with FWP). I can
submit FWP Diddler to comp.binaries.mac & info-mac if there is sufficient
interest...

/ Robert Hammen  | hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu | uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen     /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN | GEnie: R.Hammen | CI$: 70701,2104 | MacNet: HAMMEN     /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ 3839 N. Humboldt #204 | Milwaukee WI 53212 | (414) 961-0715 (h)         /