[comp.sys.mac] 4th Dimension Mailing Label Question

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (01/10/89)

In article <8901092156.AA06911@decwrl.dec.com> fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller) writes:
#>When I'm printing mailing labels on a IW-II using 4th Dimension
#>1.0.6 and 6.0.2 it prints 10 of them and skips one then 10 more
#>and skips. The layout has H set to 0, and B,D,F to 1". The
#>variable is in a box that goes from 0 to 7/8" and I concatenate
#>the entire address to that variable. How can I cure this skipping
#>problem? The actual labels are 15/16" and come every 1". When I'm
#>in the layout I notice a grey somewhat thick line around the
#>10.25" mark which I see no mention of in the manuals and I don't
#>know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I assume that this is a laserprinter. There is an area
near the edges of the page in which a laserprinter can't
print. Personally, I print labels on an LQ for that reason
and also because I can run continuous labels on it. I don't
use 4th Dimension but presumably it either has a canned program
or else you can write a program to print labels on it.

fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller) (01/10/89)

When I'm printing mailing labels on a IW-II using 4th Dimension
1.0.6 and 6.0.2 it prints 10 of them and skips one then 10 more
and skips. The layout has H set to 0, and B,D,F to 1". The
variable is in a box that goes from 0 to 7/8" and I concatenate
the entire address to that variable. How can I cure this skipping
problem? The actual labels are 15/16" and come every 1". When I'm
in the layout I notice a grey somewhat thick line around the
10.25" mark which I see no mention of in the manuals and I don't
know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Work address:
Usenet:	 {apple,adobe,acornrc,allegra,amdcad,cae780,decvax,dual,hplabs,idi,
          ihnp4,imagen,ios,logitec,microsoft,mips,mordor,muscat,purdue,pyramid,
          qubix,sci,sgi,sequent,spar,sun,turtlevax,ucbvax}!
	 decwrl!hpscad.dec.com!fortmiller
ARPAnet: FORTMILLER%HPSCAD.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
EASYnet: HPSCAD::FORTMILLER
USPS:    Ed Fortmiller
	 Digital Equipment Corp.
         MRO1-3/T2; 200 Forest St.; Marlboro, MA 01752
Phone:   (508)467-4160

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (01/11/89)

(Ed Fortmiller) writes:
>When I'm printing mailing labels on a IW-II using 4th Dimension
>1.0.6 and 6.0.2 it prints 10 of them and skips one then 10 more
>and skips. The layout has H set to 0, and B,D,F to 1". The
>variable is in a box that goes from 0 to 7/8" and I concatenate
>the entire address to that variable. How can I cure this skipping
>problem? The actual labels are 15/16" and come every 1". When I'm
>in the layout I notice a grey somewhat thick line around the
>10.25" mark which I see no mention of in the manuals and I don't
>know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I hate to say this, but you've hit one of the hundred or so bugs that I
reported to Acius about 19 months ago (yes, that's well before they
shipped :-).  In a variety of situations (perhaps always, I don't remember)
Fourth Dimension can't print reports with footers (or was it breaks?)
because they cover up detail lines. Print your report without a footer. At
least you'll get the detail lines. Or you can wait for 4D 2.0... If they fix
it.

Or you can buy FoxBase. (1.2Beta is in my greedy little hands, and it's
incredible. More on that in a few days.)

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (01/12/89)

In article <18894@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <8901092156.AA06911@decwrl.dec.com> fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller) writes:
>#>When I'm printing mailing labels on a IW-II using 4th Dimension
>#>1.0.6 and 6.0.2 it prints 10 of them and skips one then 10 more
>#>and skips. The layout has H set to 0, and B,D,F to 1". The
>#>variable is in a box that goes from 0 to 7/8" and I concatenate
>#>the entire address to that variable. How can I cure this skipping
>#>problem? The actual labels are 15/16" and come every 1". When I'm
>#>in the layout I notice a grey somewhat thick line around the
>#>10.25" mark which I see no mention of in the manuals and I don't
>#>know if that has anything to do with it or not.

The reason for your problem is how 4D is looking at the page. The line about
10.25" down is the indicator for the end of page.  4D is looking at your 10.25"
page and dividing it into 10, one inch pieces (your detail area), plus the
footer area.
That is why one label is skipped every 10.

Solution:
Modify the page size to one inch.

The way to modify the page size is to modify the printer driver. On your page
setup dialog, you have multiple choices, US Letter, US Legal, A4 Letter,
Tabloid, etc.
Pick one you don't use and make it 1inch. You can use Widgets from CE software
or Skeleton -an application shell from ACIUS that has an external that
allows you to modify the printer driver. (note - I would recommmend anyone
using 4D to get Skeleton from ACIUS, cuts development time by 60%).

Hope this was not too vague.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University