[comp.sys.mac] thesaurus

jcl@uw-apl.UUCP (Jim Luby) (01/12/89)

I am interested in purchasing a thesaurus for use with my Mac II
and would appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc... pertaining
to such products.
                                    Thanks,
                                    Jim L.

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (01/12/89)

In article <216@uw-apl.UUCP> jcl@uw-apl.UUCP (Jim Luby) writes:

>I am interested in purchasing a thesaurus for use with my Mac II
>and would appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc... pertaining
>to such products.
>                                    Thanks,
>                                    Jim L.

I've used Coach Thesaurus and Word Finder (in case of Word Finder, only the
version that comes with Word). I like Coach Thesaurus little better
personally. At least it is based on Merriam-Webster Thesaurus whereas Word
Finder is not based on any thesauruses that we know of. Besides the
interface of Coach Thesaurus seems more Mac-like (I know, it is a personal
judgment).

I believe Deneba (maker of Coach Thesaurus) just came out with Big
Thesaurus which is a full implementation (or somewhere near) of the actual
Merriam-Webster's thesaurus' magnitude. I haven't seen it myself, but it
looks exciting.

If you buy Coach Professional (also made by Deneba), Coach Thesaurus comes
as a part of the package. It looked slick, but I didn't want to whip out
$100 for on-line dictionary/thesaurus. :-(

Disclaimer: I am just a poor student (just as fair amount of us), and as
far as Deneba is concerned, I am just a customer.

Chang Woo
----
Chang Woo        HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/13/89)

In article <216@uw-apl.UUCP> jcl@uw-apl.UUCP (Jim Luby) writes:

<I am interested in purchasing a thesaurus for use with my Mac II
<and would appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc... pertaining
<to such products.

I presume you are not using Word or you would have their free gift of
WordFinder. The Feb issue of MacWorld has an article on extra things
you can buy to work with your word processing, and the only thesaurus
they list is Microlytics Word Finder. The price is 59.95 (probably less
by mail). In the text they also refer to the one by Deneba (Spell Coach
Professional) which "often repeats entries, only putting them in a different
order."

Shirley Kehr