[comp.sys.mac] Tear of Menu's

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/12/89)

In article <46100240@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> on Dec 4 15:37:00 1988
leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
     | Mindvision Software is indeed working on
     | a 'Generic Tear-Off' INIT - HOWEVER it is still in
     | development and at present they are not yet sure how  it
     | will be marketed when it is completed, so
     | PLEASE DO NOT CALL THEM!!!
       ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^
Shades of Sam Kinison :-) :-)

     | I promise that as soon as more info is
     | available, I will pass it along for them.

Love to hear some more Leonard, as there is an ad in this weeks MacWeek in
the Ad Showcase for "TOM! Tear-off menus for all Macs!".  Would you care
to comment on it's functionality and give a little more indepth idea of
what it will do?

Available from:

Advanced Interface Programming
1224 2nd Ave.
Nebraska City. Neb. 68410
Ph.  (800) 622 8674

If you quote "Go A.I.P. with MindVision Software" apparently you will get
a debut price and free overnight delivery!.  Price (with the above quote)
is advertised at $59.95 (or 79.95 without the quote).

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/14/89)

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP(Stuart B*) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <46100240@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> on Dec 4 15:37:00 1988
>leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>     | Mindvision Software is indeed working on
>     | a 'Generic Tear-Off' INIT - HOWEVER it is still in
>     | development and at present they are not yet sure how  it
>     | will be marketed when it is completed, so
>     | PLEASE DO NOT CALL THEM!!!
>       ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^
>Shades of Sam Kinison :-) :-)
>
>     | I promise that as soon as more info is
>     | available, I will pass it along for them.
>
>Love to hear some more Leonard, as there is an ad in this weeks MacWeek in
>the Ad Showcase for "TOM! Tear-off menus for all Macs!".  Would you care
>to comment on it's functionality and give a little more indepth idea of
>what it will do?

	O.K., now that it is about ready to ship (or is that shipping RSN) I can
say some more about it...

	I've been playing with it for many months now and have seen it go through
many different interface/implementation changes, and the shipping version does
the best job that I have seen for doing TOM's.
	The product is an INIT/cdev, the cdev interface allows you to set all sorts
of preferences for the options that it supports such as what modifier keys
enable/diabled it, what key sequence to hide/show all TOM's, etc.  There
is also a nice interface for setting what they call 'unfriendlies' -
applications that you don't want to use it in or that it has problems with
(like MacPaintII and Hypercard since they have their own TOM's) Very clean
interface....

	As far as functionaality, it works and works well. Supports all current
hardware and software platforms (with the one exception that it doesn't like
(but runs under) MultiFinder 6.1 (the one that comes with SADE)). It knows
and understands color so that your TOM' s use the colors that you have
specified for your menus.  It works very much like you would expect it to,
and much like the Radius one with one interesting difference.  The Radius
TOMs will not allow you to choose submenus (Hierarchical menus) when th main
menu is torn off, but does allow you to tear off the submenu itself. the  TOM
Init works the exact opposite in that you can select subs from the TOM but can't
tear off subs.

	Without sounding like a salesman, I don't know what else I can say. It
works, it works well and if you want/need TOM's - GET IT!

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +