[comp.sys.mac] Suggestion for virus prevention

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (01/11/89)

Would having programs (particularly System) check their CODE resources
(and perhaps other types of resources as well) to make sure there aren't
any unknown additions help prevent the spread of the current strain
of viruses?

--
** James Moore **
** Internet:  jamesm@sco.com **

cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (01/12/89)

In article <1272@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>Would having programs (particularly System) check their CODE resources
>(and perhaps other types of resources as well) to make sure there aren't
>any unknown additions help prevent the spread of the current strain
>of viruses?

Only to the extent that the virus was unaware of the code... A well
built virus coud concevebly subvert the software involved in makeing
the check to always reporting a negative result (ie no virus), leading
to a false sense of security.

A better method might be to have any files containing critical
resources locked by default, with some non-simulable (is that a word?)
way of overriding the lock for legitimate tasks (such as installing
fonts, etc.  The problems with this are A. How? and B. The system etc.
would still be vulnerable at that point.

+C
--
Cory ( "...Love is like Oxygen..." ) Kempf
UUCP: encore.com!gloom!cory

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (01/14/89)

In article <313@gloom.UUCP> cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) writes:
>Only to the extent that the virus was unaware of the code... A well
>built virus coud concevebly subvert the software involved in makeing
>the check to always reporting a negative result (ie no virus), leading
>to a false sense of security.

Yes, but this means that viruses would need to be specific to a
certain program.  The most likely target would be the system itself,
with perhaps special cases for individual applications.  While that
would certainly not eliminate the problem entirely, it would at least
limit the spread of the virus and hopefully make it easier to detect.