[comp.sys.mac] Mathematical DTP

mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (thomas fenger mcdougal) (01/13/89)

Any experts on mathematical typesetting?  I want to produce
a low-level math textbook with the Mac.  I'll need fractions,
matrices, radical symbols, etc.  Microsoft Word can do that;
I like the program, but I often want just a little better
control that Word provides.  In-line fractions can screw up
tab alignments, for example.  I also may need the ability to
drive typeset-quality printers, such as the Linotronic.

Quark XPress can provide excellent control and can drive
the Linotronic, but the only way to do fractions w/ Quark
is to treat them as graphics.  I'll go bananas cutting
and pasting every time I want a fraction.

When I paste text into Quark from a Word document, Quark
displays (and prints) the code:
      \f(1,2)   for the fraction 1/2

Please tell me there is a way around this!  Or maybe
someone can direct me to another source?....

Thanks all.
	   --Tom McDougal  mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (01/14/89)

In article <297@gargoyle.uchicago.edu> mcdougal@gargoyle.uchicago.edu.UUCP (thomas fenger mcdougal) writes:

>Any experts on mathematical typesetting?  I want to produce
>a low-level math textbook with the Mac.  I'll need fractions,

No experts here, but I find that if I:
1) reduce the size of the numerator,
2) superscript the numerator,
3) type the /
4) reduce the size of the denominator
I get a reasonable-looking fraction. In XPress, I can fine-tune the
kerning to make it look nicer. (With QuicKeys, you could probably
automate most of this process, but I haven't tried that.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X