[comp.sys.mac] PageMaker 3.0 Problems

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (01/06/89)

I am disconcerted with a problem I have been having with PageMaker
3.0. Why is it that when I delete all pages except the first, and
delete all the objects (text & graphics), clear out the master items,
then "save as" the file, that this 'empty' pagemaker document is
438K!!!

I'm putting together our Club's newsletter, and want to keep the first
3 pages of the magazine for every issue, so I can retain the format,
and this OVERHEAD IS DRIVING ME AROUND THE BEND!

Can anyone help me? Has this problem been solved with later versions
of PageMaker? (I have 3.0)

Thanks in advance,
Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1500 members.

Phone Home:  011-61-2-73-1016
OZ Post:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
Internet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!clubmac

jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) (01/09/89)

In article <1923@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

>I am disconcerted with a problem I have been having with PageMaker
>3.0. Why is it that when I delete all pages except the first, and
>delete all the objects (text & graphics), clear out the master items,
>then "save as" the file, that this 'empty' pagemaker document is
>438K!!!

Jason:

The problem is that Pagemaker saves a copy of the last-saved version
so that you can "revert" to it. The solution is fairly simple, albeit
a kludge:

1) delete everything you want deleted
2) save it
3) register a small change (eg, type a space onto a page, then
	delete the space)
4) save it again

This should work. If not, you could make (4) be a "save as", and
then save it as a template.

Good luck!

 ~~~Jim

--
Thirty thousand mighty suns shone down in a soul- *jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu
searing splendor that was more frighteningly cold *************************

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (01/10/89)

In article <1923@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

#>I am disconcerted with a problem I have been having with PageMaker
#>3.0. Why is it that when I delete all pages except the first, and
#>delete all the objects (text & graphics), clear out the master items,
#>then "save as" the file, that this 'empty' pagemaker document is
#>438K!!!

#>I'm putting together our Club's newsletter, and want to keep the first
#>3 pages of the magazine for every issue, so I can retain the format,
#>and this OVERHEAD IS DRIVING ME AROUND THE BEND!

#>Can anyone help me? Has this problem been solved with later versions
#>of PageMaker? (I have 3.0)

#>Thanks in advance,
#>Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
#>Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1500 members.

One of the undocumented weirdnesses of PageMaker is that when you
just save, it seems to keep incrementing the size of your file.
But if you choose "Save As" and use the same name as your file
currently has, it will then squeeze it into its minimum space.
You say that this is what you did, but I suspect that you
really mean that you chose "Save" and not "Save As." When
someone told me about this trick, I was immediately able to
recover a few megs of my hard disk that PageMaker had hoarded.
I have the updated version of 3.0 (3.01) and the situation is
unchanged.

Steve Goldfield

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (01/13/89)

In article <18875@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <1923@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:
>
>#>I am disconcerted with a problem I have been having with PageMaker
>#>3.0. Why is it that when I delete all pages except the first, and
>#>delete all the objects (text & graphics), clear out the master items,
>#>then "save as" the file, that this 'empty' pagemaker document is
>#>438K!!!
>
>#>I'm putting together our Club's newsletter, and want to keep the first
>#>3 pages of the magazine for every issue, so I can retain the format,
>#>and this OVERHEAD IS DRIVING ME AROUND THE BEND!
>
>#>Can anyone help me? Has this problem been solved with later versions
>#>of PageMaker? (I have 3.0)
>
>One of the undocumented weirdnesses of PageMaker is that when you
>just save, it seems to keep incrementing the size of your file.
>But if you choose "Save As" and use the same name as your file
>currently has, it will then squeeze it into its minimum space.
>You say that this is what you did, but I suspect that you
>really mean that you chose "Save" and not "Save As." When
>someone told me about this trick, I was immediately able to
>recover a few megs of my hard disk that PageMaker had hoarded.
>I have the updated version of 3.0 (3.01) and the situation is
>unchanged.
>
>Steve Goldfield

No, I have indeed tried the "Save as" trick with PageMaker 3.0. However, after
several attempts, the 'empty' file is still 438K!

wingbean@blake.acs.washington.edu (wingbean) (01/16/89)

>>#>I am disconcerted with a problem I have been having with PageMaker
>>#>3.0. Why is it that when I delete all pages except the first, and
>>#>delete all the objects (text & graphics), clear out the master items,
>>#>then "save as" the file, that this 'empty' pagemaker document is
>>#>438K!!!
You should be using 3.01 of PageMaker.  You say that you have deleted all
pages except the first one.  What is the reason that you are erasing this
pub?  If you want to use it as a template then you should save it as a
template instead.  Also, I understand that you can erase textblocks but
if you still have a page that contains a textblock as part of a story,
the entire story will still be contained in the file.  So if your
first page still has text blocks it isn't surprising that you ahve
a large file size.  Doing a save as does indeed do a file scrunch and
garbage cleanup.

         "ya, I seen em, a wild heard of Aldusians...."

  Anymore questions you just holler, ya hear?