[comp.sys.mac] HD40 SC high pitch squeal

erik@hpsad.HP.COM (Erik Kilk) (01/13/89)

My Apple 40 Meg SCSI hard disk (HD40SC) has begun making
a whining or light screaching sound while the platter spins.
I had been leaving the drive on for weeks until I noticed the
high pitched sound started.

Is this nothing to worry about?

Erik

d_volaric@vaxa.uwa.oz (01/17/89)

In article <810006@hpsad.HP.COM>, erik@hpsad.HP.COM (Erik Kilk) writes:

> My Apple 40 Meg SCSI hard disk (HD40SC) has begun making
> a whining or light screaching sound while the platter spins.
> I had been leaving the drive on for weeks until I noticed the
> high pitched sound started.
Many years ago, when I was working for some IBM-BC (no typo) software
firm, this happened to our 40Meg disk. Some tech told us the drives
bearings were dry or worn out (I can't remeber which). Unfortunately
you can't unscrew the (vacume sealed) casing and drop a spot of grease
on the brearings!

> Is this nothing to worry about?

The tech seemed to think it was nothing to worry about. He didn't do
anything to our disk and it's alive to this day ( I think - time lapsed =
approx 2 years). I must say though, the sound drove me around the bend!
> Erik
Darko.