[comp.sys.mac] WYSIWYG Math-Text Processing

richr@ai.etl.army.mil (Richard Rosenthal) (01/09/89)

I need your suggestion for WYSIWYG math-text processing software
for Macintosh.  I need to do math-text processing within MS Word,
Draw, etc.

Thanks for your input.

--
Richard Rosenthal                 Internet:  richr@ai.etl.army.mil
Engineer Topographic Labs             UUCP:  ...!ames!ai.etl.army.mil!richr

wetter@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (01/10/89)

> I need your suggestion for WYSIWYG math-text processing software

  Get Milo. (Yes ITS FINALLY RELEASED. YEA! YEA! YEA!).

  Not only can it do fairly decent equations, but it can manipulate them as
well.
  Your Next bet is MacEQN ( A Desk Acc.), and Expressionist, (a program).
Pierce

You can flame or laud me at:
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu or wetter@csvax.caltech.edu or pwetter@caltech.bitnet
  (There would be a witty saying here, but my signature has to be < 4lines)

ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Salmento) (01/10/89)

Richard,
   Milo by Paracomp will do what you want.  It a mathametical black board.  It
allows you to create and manipulate equation algebraically in a WYSIWYG.  I
played with the alpha version and I liked it alot.  The difference between the
alpha version of Milo and PowerMath or Mathematica, is that Milo didn't actually
solve the problems for you, but it had an excellent interface for manipulating
equations.

John Salmento
ziggy@andrew.cmu.edu
Carngie Mellon University

florianb@tekred.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) (01/11/89)

Regarding previous posting from:

richr@ai.etl.army.mil (Richard Rosenthal)

I use Expressionist from Allan Bonadio Associates, 814 Castro St.,
San Francisco, CA  94114-2809.  It's the best math text processor
I've used, and is a delight to use.

[The opinions expressed herein are my own or borrowed.  No connection
to ABA except satisfaction.]

sobiloff@agnes.uucp (Blake N. Sobiloff) (01/11/89)

You might want to try Expressionist by Allan Bonadio Associates- it has a DA
version bundled with the regular stand-alone.  It is now to version 2.0, but I
don't use it enough to justify upgrading from 1.0, though.  I'm happy with it,
and it was supposedly cleaned up so it would be easier to use in 2.0.

Blake "Hey, where's MY fancy footer?" Sobiloff

hedstrom@uvicctr.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (01/12/89)

I have been using an equation editor called MathType for nearly a year and have
been very satisfied. It runs as a DA so may be used with almost any
application in which you may want to paste any type of mathematical
expression. I use it mostly with WriteNow and MacDraw II.

MathType has a true `mac' interface and a very rapid learning curve; I've even
converted some really hardcore TEX fans to it. I haven't seen it available
through any mail order houses so here is the address (they offer an
educational discount)
			Design Science, Inc.
			6475-B E. Pacific Coast Highway
			Suite 392
			Long Beach, CA 90803
			(213) 433-0685

Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:	hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
BITNET:		hedstrom%sirius.uvic.ca%ubc.CSNET@RELAY.CS.NET
UUCP:		...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) (01/12/89)

In article <3472@tekred.TEK.COM> florianb@tekred.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) writes:
>Regarding previous posting from:
>
>richr@ai.etl.army.mil (Richard Rosenthal)
>
>I use Expressionist from Allan Bonadio Associates, 814 Castro St.,
>San Francisco, CA  94114-2809.  It's the best math text processor
>I've used, and is a delight to use.

I agree, but it does not work well with Word 3.0x.  Does Milo?

Ben Lian

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (01/13/89)

The truth is that there isn't yet a math WYSIWYG program
that can do everything you want.

The most advanced program to make things happen I believe
is Expressionist. Thereafter comes MathType, which has a
superior graphics look of the output. MathType cannot do
as much as the Expressionist right now, but there is suppose
be an upgrade within one month or so.
Both these programs generate TeX output as well.

The last version of MacEqn I saw wasn't even an editor, so
forget about that program.

I haven't seen Milo yet, but at its price you should get a
demo before buying it.

The most promising vaporware is from Mansfield Systems, but,
quoting MacWorld, there will be a dark day in San Diego before
word processors can handle specialized mathematical tasks.

Good Luck!

Hans Aberg
Professor in Mathmatics

ss60s@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Nathaniel L. Beck) (01/13/89)

I think that math processor choice is a lot like word processor
choice - none are perfect and whatever you are used to is probably
going to beat whatever you aren't used to. I started with MacEqn,
which is okay if far from great. Then I took a look at
Expressionist. It may be better, but it didn't seem enough better
for me to learn something new. So I stick with MacEqn. Not to say
that it might not be better to start with Expressionist, but rather
that it doesn't matter all that much. (BTW MacEqn 2 is a lot easier
to use than version )

Cheers

Neal Beck
(beck@ucsd.edu)

wetter@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (01/16/89)

> I agree, but it does not work well with Word 3.0x.  Does Milo?

    The milo equations are simply pictures, so Milo doesn't have any more
problems then word usually does with pictures.

Pierce

P.S. Feel free to ask me questions about Milo, and I'll try to answer them.
(Though not about pricing et. al.).

You can flame or laud me at:
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu or wetter@csvax.caltech.edu or pwetter@caltech.bitnet
  (There would be a witty saying here, but my signature has to be < 4lines)

wetter@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (01/17/89)

   For those of you who have been wondering when Milo would come out, how much
 it would be, and where they could get it, MacConnection (1-800-mac-lisa) has
it in stock for 159$.

   What is Milo?
      The best description of Milo is probably that of an equation processor.
 Whereas a word processor lets you manipulate words, Milo lets you manipulate
equations. For instance, if you have y+x=x+4, you can solve for y by dragging
the x from the left hand side of the equation to the right hand side. (or by
 using the solve command).

      Milo is best at, and was designed for, doing grunge. While it has nowhere
 near the complexity of Mathematica or Maple or such ilk, it does come will a
 full set of templates to do various things like trig identities and integrals.

      Milo can also be used for Equation typesetting, however, because it uses
  these rather large parentheses, this is not for everyone.

      One of its best features is the ability to graph equations. By simply
 selecting the equation you wish to graph, and entering the range. Milo will
 graph the function in that range, even parametric equations. (it can also graph
 more then one function at a time. This is very useful if you have professors
 who insist on making you graph silly functions.

     Milo can also mix text and equations easily, so can even be used a simple
  word processor for those who might wish to write comments as they go along.
  (This uses the new TextEdit so all character and font changes can be used.)

   Personnally, I love it, and would suggest you buy it if you need to do any
 of the above.

   Pierce

  P.S. I DO have an affiliation with the author, though not an official one.