[comp.sys.mac] Turbo Pascal & MacsBug

grants@usage.csd.unsw.oz (Grant Sayer) (01/16/89)

 Can anyone suggest why MacsBug will not load on a Mac II with the
following configuration :
	Turbo Pascal Vers 1.1
	System 6.02
	Finder 6.10
The macsbug is located in the System Folder and is named MACSBUG.  The
message 'MACSBUG loaded' fails to appear under the usual 'Welcome to
Macintosh' greeting after power-up and any calls the macsbug from
within Turbo Pascal only results in a system error.

Thanks in advance
Grant Sayer

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/17/89)

Grant Sayer writes:

>  Can anyone suggest why MacsBug will not load on a Mac II with the
> following configuration :
> 	Turbo Pascal Vers 1.1
>	System 6.02
>	Finder 6.10
> The macsbug is located in the System Folder and is named MACSBUG.  The
> message 'MACSBUG loaded' fails to appear under the usual 'Welcome to
> Macintosh' greeting after power-up and any calls the macsbug from
> within Turbo Pascal only results in a system error.

I can think of several possible reasons:

1) MacsBug isn't called strictly 'MacsBug'. Beware of spaces, etc. I don't
think case is important, however.

2) MacsBug isn't MacsBug. Make sure it isn't the old AutoBlack screen saver.

3) MacsBug is an old version. Prior to (I believe) version 5.5, there were
specialized versions for the Mac II in various memory configurations, and
prior to that I'm not sure if it would work at all with a Mac II. The
current version is 6.0, which I've been using for months on my II with no
problems and great improvements over 5.5. I do miss the Fractals, though...

4) MacsBug is corrupted. If all else fails, get a new one.

I'm assuming that the system trap you get is 12, by the way, which is what
happens when you issue a debugger trap with no debugger. (Or perhaps 13 if
you hit the programmer's switch).

The current version of MacsBug is available from APDA, CompuServe, and perhaps
other places.

Bob Hablutzel	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU