[comp.sys.mac] A/UX actually floppies and some moaning.

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (01/17/89)

In article <141200005@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Why would they only sell A/UX on a hard disk?  Because it would probably
>fill a hundred floppys.  They could sell it on tape, though.

Although I cant mention the pricing on this, since it is our
university pricing, I can say that the A/UX products list contains the
item:

M8143/B  A/UX Floppies.  Incluudes A/UX floopies (M0702) and A/UX
Accessory Kit (M0693/A) and available through 1/15/89 2 hout telephone
support (M8046).  Its about 1/3 the price of A/UX on the 80Meg drive,
I dont think I'm giving away anything by saying that.

Phone support kit is a desktop clock in a nice perspex/plexiglass
stand, all of five dollars! and a card with a registration number on
it.  Trouble is if you call, the people are very helpful but the basic
answer is wait for version 1.1.  My comments were:

Where's X?  Why doesnt Fortran work and when will it? (ans: BUY the
Unisoft one, a bit much when the product is advertised as containing
FORTRAN!).  When can I print to a laserwriter?  ( ans: buy the
Supermac board!  You could use CAP of course too.)

My question of Apple is where is 1.1 will it satisfy and how much are
the poor saps who bought 1.0 going to have to pay to get the working
system ?
Excuse the bitching and moaning, A/UX actually works quite well, but
some of us want everything to work first time.

John Mansfield
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu