[comp.sys.mac] Games on the Mac II

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/11/89)

Since I have an upgraded 512 at home and a Mac II at work, I didn't
know which version of Tetris to get. MacWarehouse told me that the
Mac II version works only on Mac II, so I got the regular version
hoping it would work on Mac II.  IT DOES!

I could even justify this game on cognitive training tasks. I had
horrible scores on those parts of the intelligence tests that test
your ability to rotate shapes in your head. Is it possible to improve
such a skill in middle age?

Shirley Kehr (just gave it away didn't I?)

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/12/89)

In article <78084@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
     | Since I have an upgraded 512 at home and a Mac II at work,
     | I didn't know which version of Tetris to get. MacWarehouse
     | told me that the Mac II version works only on Mac II, so I
     | got the regular version hoping it would work on Mac II.
     | IT DOES!

It does indeed work on a Mac ][.  However there is a colour version, which
is the Mac ][ specific version.  This is available as a $12.50 upgrade,
when sending in your registration card and a request for the Mac ][
version.

Not sure if this is really the best policy I've seen, because on thier
standard packaging they have a colour screen dump of the Mac ][ version,
but no mention of having to purchase a separate version just for the Mac
][.

Onto SoapBox:

I don't like that practice at all, and feel I shouldn't have to fork out
an extra $'s because THIER packaging was too generic.  It's like selling
someone an empty box of crackers.. "Oh.. You wanted CRACKERS in thier!..
Oh well, that will be extra!" (best John Cleese'ish accent)

Off SoapBox:

A note in the manual tells you to read the enclosed card to get it to run
on a Mac ][.. no such card was included with the copy I have, thus
prompting a call to thier custommer service line (good luck to anyone who
tries to get through.. they seem to have no call cueing at all.. I managed
to finaly reach someone after hours).

     | Shirley Kehr (just gave it away didn't I?)

BTW, has anyone tried to run QuarterStaff with MultiFinder on a Mac ][?
There is a bolded capitalised note in the box stating that it is HIGHLY
recommended that you not use colour while in multifinder.. OK.. but there
the statement ends...  I find it too ambiguous a statement to not
question.. any experiences?

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul Wenker) (01/16/89)

In article <251@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
>BTW, has anyone tried to run QuarterStaff with MultiFinder on a Mac ][?
>There is a bolded capitalised note in the box stating that it is HIGHLY
>recommended that you not use colour while in multifinder.. OK.. but there
>the statement ends...  I find it too ambiguous a statement to not
>question.. any experiences?

QuarterStaff, MultiFinder, and 8-bit color seem to get along just fine.
I've been running it quite a bit without incident.  I just assumed
that they had put in the recommendation because of possible memory
problems.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock ) (01/17/89)

Actually, the Mac II version of Tetris won't work on a Mac II unless you
have a color monitor!  I have that version, and all I get is a dialog box
saying use a 256 color monitor!  Grrr!  I want my money back!  (or at least
a working version!)

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{uflorida, codas}!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (01/17/89)

In article <3872@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccts.UUCP (Paul Wenker) writes:

>QuarterStaff, MultiFinder, and 8-bit color seem to get along just fine.
>I've been running it quite a bit without incident.  I just assumed
>that they had put in the recommendation because of possible memory
>problems.

Or maybe they screw around with the CLUT and they don't trust the
palette manager...  I've seen some photos of the pictures, and they
look pretty impressive.  How is the game, anyway.  Don't feel like
spending $40 for an unknown quantity.

-Sho