[comp.sys.mac] A/UX

murphy@hao.UCAR.EDU (Graham Murphy) (05/08/87)

Does anyone from Apple or elsewhere have a more definite date
on the release of A/UX. I am about to order a Mac II, and
I will be ordering an 80MB disk and lots of memory specifically so that I
can run unix. I have been told I might have to wait until July for the
machine, how much longer after that for my desired operating
system ? My local saleperson is somewhat uncertain about the
fine points - is it possible to order a Mac II equipped with
the 68851 MMU at this early stage (assuming this wouldn't mean
waiting until August) ?

I am already a hacker in enough operating systems to keep me
intensely dissatisfied for many years (how many hackers are
happy with their 'environment'? ... none, since that is what
makes a hacker, a hacker). Obviously, I expect to learn
the Apple proprietary operating system, but hopefully I won't have long
enough to become interested in it before I go back to unix :-)
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!murphy
CSNET: murphy@ncar.csnet  ARPA: murphy%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (01/29/88)

There has been some discussion of what Apple ought to include with
A/UX.  Interested parties should consult chapter 11 of the Technical
Introduction to the Macintosh Family (Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley,
1987), availalbe at your local B. Dalton for $19.95.  According to
this document, A/UX has the Korn shell as well as csh.  It also has
TCP/IP and sockets, STREAMS support, NFS client, Transcript, and some attempt
to smooth over the nastier aspects of the system administrator's task.

Chapter 11 is a slender chapter, but should be read before we get more
speculation about what A/UX will or will not include.  Now if I could
only get a quote from Apple about how much it will cost me....

gustav@swanee.OZ (Gustav) (02/16/88)

Will Apple ever consider putting a scaled down version of A/UX on Mac
SE? Perhaps a special card would be needed. There are already UNIX
machines of comparable power to Mac SE on the market, e.g. HP Integral PC,
also based on 68000 rather than 68020. Many engineers and scientists
would go for it!

sklein@cdp.UUCP (01/16/89)

Why would they only sell A/UX on a hard disk?  Because it would probably
fill a hundred floppys.  They could sell it on tape, though.
-Shabtai Klein
|                           | UUCP:      uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   \
|     A Woman who tries     | Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com |
|     to be equal to a man  | BitNet:    cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford  |
|     lacks ambition!       | PhoneNet:  (301) 270-2250              |
 \___________________________________________________________________/

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (01/18/89)

In article <141200005@cdp>, sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

> Why would they only sell A/UX on a hard disk?  Because it would probably
> fill a hundred floppys.  They could sell it on tape, though.
> -Shabtai Klein
> |                           | UUCP:      uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   \
> |     A Woman who tries     | Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com |
> |     to be equal to a man  | BitNet:    cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford  |
> |     lacks ambition!       | PhoneNet:  (301) 270-2250              |
>  \___________________________________________________________________/

Last Time I checked, apple had AU/X available as 35 floppy diskettes as
well.

-dave
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (01/18/89)

In article <141200005@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
>   A/UX on a hard disk because it would take up lots of floppies]

??? What are you two talking about?

Order Apple Part Number M0702, A/UX on floppies. List price $899.
I think that the distribution is about seventy floppies.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp