[comp.sys.mac] Internal Hard Disk Indicator?

jgc@uoregon.uoregon.edu (James Gerald Campbell) (01/15/89)

that I have no way to determine when the disk is actually getting accessed.
Is there some init available that will place some indicator on the menu
bar mimicing a disk LED?  In medival times, I wrote a TSR for an IBM that
did this, and I think I have seen something similar for MacServer on a
network.  If I do need to write one, can anyone point me at whats needed
to 'legally' write things asynchronously in the menu bar?

Thanks for any help.

jc@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (01/19/89)

In article <3524@uoregon.uoregon.edu> jgc@drizzle.UUCP (James Gerald Campbell) writes:
>that I have no way to determine when the disk is actually getting accessed.
>Is there some init available that will place some indicator on the menu
>bar mimicing a disk LED?  In medival times, I wrote a TSR for an IBM that
>did this, and I think I have seen something similar for MacServer on a
>network.  If I do need to write one, can anyone point me at whats needed
>to 'legally' write things asynchronously in the menu bar?
>
>jc@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu

I can't give you specifics on how to program this, but I know it can be
done.  Both TOPS and AppleShare use a special flashing marker in the
menu bar to indicate the systems is accessing a remote volume.  TOPS just
flashes a pixel while AppleShare flashes a two-headed arrow.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific...

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.