[comp.sys.mac] Protecting applications on server from viruses

py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (01/18/89)

How would you protect applications on a fileserver (AppleShare 2.01)
from viruses?  It's in a public site, and it holds WriteNow 2.0,
Excel, SuperPaint, MacDraw.  At least these are the ones used most
often.

I think that it would be hard to spread the current viruses to the
applications (nVIR, Scores) since we control the boot disks and have
Vaccine in all of the boot disk system folders, but maybe (probably)
something's coming that will be more easily spread.

E-mail?  Thanks.

Patti

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (01/18/89)

From article <17734@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, by py8j@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU:

> How would you protect applications on a fileserver (AppleShare 2.01)
> from viruses?  It's in a public site, and it holds WriteNow 2.0,
> Excel, SuperPaint, MacDraw.  At least these are the ones used most
> often.

Write protect every folder on the server.  I've been doing this
sucessfully for about a year now.  I have the following applications on
my server and they are servicable:

MacWrite 5.01		MacDraw 1.9.6		MacPaint 2.0
Copy II Mac 7.0		Symantec Utilities 1.0	LightSpeed C 2.15
Network Diskfit 1.41	Word 3.01		MacRecorder
Prototyper		Turbo Pascal		Excel
MacDraw II

Some programs store set up information in their own resource fork.
You will need to set this information up while you have write access
to the folders.  For example, MacWrite stores the location of its
dictionaries in itself.

Ready Set Go! 4.5 needs to have its folder write enabled because it
creates a temporary file.

Multiplan bombs as you quit after running off of AppleShare.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

mnkonar@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (01/19/89)

In article <17734@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> py8j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Patti Kelly) writes:

>How would you protect applications on a fileserver (AppleShare 2.01)
>from viruses?  It's in a public site, and it holds WriteNow 2.0,
>Excel, SuperPaint, MacDraw.  At least these are the ones used most
>often.
>
>I think that it would be hard to spread the current viruses to the
>applications (nVIR, Scores) since we control the boot disks and have
>Vaccine in all of the boot disk system folders, but maybe (probably)
>something's coming that will be more easily spread.
>
>E-mail?  Thanks.
>
>Patti

I tried a little experiment to see if Vaccine would protect a Mac running
TOPS.  The short answer is NO.
Here is what I did:

I published the hard disk of Mac A (which was running Vaccine and had
protection enabled).  I went to Mac B and mounted Mac A's hard disk via
TOPS.  Then I compiled a Lightspeed Pascal Project that resided on Mac A's
hard disk.  Normally Vaccine complaines when LSP compiles because it's
generating CODE resources.  No complaints this time.  Note that I did not
have Vaccine running on Mac B.  This leads me to believe that with TOPS
anyway, Vaccine will not protect vaccinated Macs from getting infected by a
remote Mac.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar mnkonar@ely.UUCP
Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN