[comp.sys.mac] Archiving software

delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) (01/18/89)

I am looking for a program to maintain an archive of
files that would otherwise clutter up my HD20. I don't mean
a back-up program, although one with the right features
might be able to fill in if used right. Rather I have in mind
something like the UNIX TAR facility but with a better
(more Mac-like) way of checking what is in the archive, that
uses floppies as a medium, and that will ask only for needed
floppies (not all) when restoring or adding a file or folder.
Does such a such a program exist?

John

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (01/20/89)

In article <1219@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) writes:
>I am looking for a program to maintain an archive of
>files that would otherwise clutter up my HD20. I don't mean
>a back-up program, although one with the right features
>might be able to fill in if used right. Rather I have in mind
>something like the UNIX TAR facility but with a better
>(more Mac-like) way of checking what is in the archive, that
>uses floppies as a medium, and that will ask only for needed
>floppies (not all) when restoring or adding a file or folder.
>Does such a such a program exist?

There is a Mac HD backup program called "Redux" that may be what you are
looking for.  It allows you to check/uncheck folders and files to be backed
up, and will remember how you set it up from session to session.

I just bought Redux, though I have not had a chance to try it yet...

Also, I believe that it will only ask for floppies that it needs during a
backup, and it will (for certain) delete old versions of files during a backup
so as to not require and forever increasing numbers of floppies for backups.

Jim

(Redux is from Microseeds Publishing, Inc., and I have no connection woth
them.)

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>