[comp.sys.mac] FontSizer

spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/19/89)

Has anyone actually gotten FontSizer?  I called MacConnection last
week, and they didn't have it ("We've been getting a lot of requests
for it.") and claimed that they couldn't tell me who made it, even (he
looked in some database "just got the new one in today", and it wasn't
in there.)

It sounds like exactly what I need to make bitmap fonts for my LWIISC,
but I would like to know more about it before springing (assuming I
could find someone who would sell it to me).

Please respond by mail, I will summarize to the net.

=Spencer (spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu)

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/20/89)

In article <1403@zippy.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>Has anyone actually gotten FontSizer?  I called MacConnection last
>week, and they didn't have it ("We've been getting a lot of requests
>for it.") and claimed that they couldn't tell me who made it, even (he
>looked in some database "just got the new one in today", and it wasn't
>in there.)
>
>It sounds like exactly what I need to make bitmap fonts for my LWIISC,
>but I would like to know more about it before springing (assuming I
>could find someone who would sell it to me).

For those of you interested in FontSizer, I called U.S. MicroLabs
and asked them a few questions:

1. It will size a font from 13 to 127 point sizes.  They're working
   on one that will do smaller sizes...they'll look poor but have
   the correct spacing tables.
2. You must have a Postscript LaserWriter.  It downloads the font size
   you want to the Macintosh and genrates the bitmaps for that size.
3. You cannot use the bitmaps for a LaserWriter II SC according to the
   liscensing agreement.  i.e., you can't go over to so-and-so's
   LaserWriter, generate 127 point bitmaps, and take them back home
   for your SC.  (legally, at least.)

So, what you've got here is a product that will give you accurate
character spacing for those of you who do a lot of dtp.  If you're
interested, it's shipping for $99.95.  Call 1-800-552-7654

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.