[comp.sys.mac] hard drive fails to spin-up

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (01/20/89)

In article <4560@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu ( John Roy) writes:
>Sometimes my Mac II hard drive (standard apple 40 Meg) fails to spin-up
>when I power up in the morning.  It usually does this after the machine
>has been off for a couple of days.  The screen is just gray and seems
>content to wait forever.  I can get out by either inserting a system
>floppy or sometimes the hard reset on the back wakes up the hard drive.
>
>Has anybody out there see anything like this?  I also noticed that the

I have a similar problem, when I turn on the Mac with the keyboard
switch the tone sounds and it sounds like the drive accesses, however
the screens remain dim and it only boots after I press the reboot
button.  At that time the screens come on immediately.  The repair
people here reckon they can fix it although last time it was repaired
they couldnt find anything wrong!  I dont want to loose the Mac for
too long so I have put of getting it fixed.  It will probably die on
me and force my hand eventually.

John Mansfield
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu