[comp.sys.mac] Upgrade Mac 512 to 512E

michael@hippo.UUCP (Michael Hodgkins) (01/14/89)

 I would like to upgrade a 512K Mac to a 512E, ie., the internal
800K disk drive and roms.  There is a place in S.F. called software
for Less that will do this for $319.95.  Is anyone aware of places
where this can be done for less?  I would be especially interested
in East Bay locations.  Thanks.
--

                                        Michael Hodgkins
                                        UUCP:

sklein@cdp.UUCP (01/16/89)

The last time I checked, the Apple full list price for the 512 to 512e
upgrade (new ROMs and 800K floppy) was only $299.  I got one about a
year and half ago for $249.

-Shabtai Klein
|                           | UUCP:      uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   \
|     A Woman who tries     | Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com |
|     to be equal to a man  | BitNet:    cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford  |
|     lacks ambition!       | PhoneNet:  (301) 270-2250              |
 \___________________________________________________________________/

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/17/89)

In article <141200006@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>The last time I checked, the Apple full list price for the 512 to 512e
>upgrade (new ROMs and 800K floppy) was only $299.  I got one about a
>year and half ago for $249.

That's what it was selling for a year and a half ago, true.  However,
according to the people at Whole Earth Computers in Berkeley, Apple
raised the price to over $600 in mid-1988.  Pretty ridiculous for a ROM
chip and disk drive.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." -- Patti Smith

zcnj01@gpb6.uucp (Cecil N. Jones) (01/18/89)

In article <6332@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>In article <141200006@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
>>
>>The last time I checked, the Apple full list price for the 512 to 512e
>>upgrade (new ROMs and 800K floppy) was only $299.  I got one about a
>>year and half ago for $249.
>
>That's what it was selling for a year and a half ago, true.  However,
>according to the people at Whole Earth Computers in Berkeley, Apple
>raised the price to over $600 in mid-1988.  Pretty ridiculous for a ROM
>chip and disk drive.
>--
>Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
>"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." -- Patti Smith

....  I think you are mistaken.  I just recently checked with an
....  authorized Apple dealer/service center.  It costs about $300
....  to do the 512 to 512e update (roms and 800k drive), and
....  another $300 to upgrade to 1meg memory and scsi port, for a
....  total of $600 to bring your 512 up to a plus.

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  @apctrc.uucp
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.

bergman@m2c.org (Michael Bergman) (01/20/89)

$600? sounds pretty peculiar.  the last time I checked was a
few weeks ago, and the price was still under $300 here -- but
the kits weren't available!  Like the joke about the butcher--
sure, and if I didn't have any pork chops I'd only charge $1.00/lb
for them myself...

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (01/20/89)

From article <4299@m2c.M2C.ORG>, by bergman@m2c.org (Michael Bergman):
> $600? sounds pretty peculiar.  the last time I checked was a
> few weeks ago, and the price was still under $300 here -- but
> the kits weren't available!

The shops here do have the 512KE upgrade, it's the Plus upgrade
that's a couple of month's behind.  The former is still $299
here.

--
A society is not civilized until it domesticates the icecube.

Cliff Loucks   [gatech | ucbvax]!unmvax!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labs, Albuquerque, New Mexico