[comp.sys.mac] Gatekeeper bug

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway) (01/17/89)

After checking for viruses, I installed the Gatekeeper INIT/cdev recently
posted to comp.binaries.mac.  When I ran the cdev in the Control Panel,
the Mac crashed on closing the Control Panel.  It then refused to reboot
from that system, even after removing Gatekeeper and its log file from
the system folder.  I eventually found that the System file had been
corrupted (virus rx reported logical end of file encountered).

Setup: MacPlus, System 4.3, MultiFinder 1.0, Finder 6.0B1.  INITs: Facade,
JClock31.

Another problem with Gatekeeper is that the instructions for use are only
available by running the cdev and reading them in a tiny window.  ResEdit
cannot read the relevant TEXT resource (too big).  Why were the instructions
not posted as a text file?  (There was a text file with it, and some
information in the comp.binaries.mac message, but you have to read the
on-line help to find out what the checkboxes mean.)
--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie (Michael Lloyd) (01/18/89)

In article <326@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.UUCP (Richard Kennaway) writes:

>After checking for viruses, I installed the Gatekeeper INIT/cdev recently
>posted to comp.binaries.mac.  When I ran the cdev in the Control Panel,
>the Mac crashed on closing the Control Panel.  It then refused to reboot
>from that system, even after removing Gatekeeper and its log file from
>the system folder.  I eventually found that the System file had been
>corrupted (virus rx reported logical end of file encountered).
>
>Setup: MacPlus, System 4.3, MultiFinder 1.0, Finder 6.0B1.  INITs: Facade,
>JClock31.
>
> [some comment deleted]
>--
>Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
>uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

We have had the same problem - crash on closing Control Panel.
Virus Rx reported a logical EOF in _GATEKEEPER_, NOT in the system, and
we had no problem about not being able to reboot.

This occured during a virus outbreak - one possible culprit.
However, I would hazard a guess at a misposting - including a
misplaced EOF. Is this possible?

Setup: MacPlus, sys 4.3,  finder 6.0, cdevs Quickeys & Staircase,
init Shield (from Symantec)

I was very impressed with the GateKeeper concept - if this can be
sorted out, I would be happy to use it.

So, any gurus with solutions?

Mike.

--
Mike Lloyd, Dept of Statistics, |"Does anyone understand what is happening? ..
Trinity College, Dublin,        |  They tell me this is living -

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (01/19/89)

<
<Setup: MacPlus, System 4.3, MultiFinder 1.0, Finder 6.0B1.  INITs: Facade,
<JClock31.

My apologies for your difficulties.  I've seen the problem you report occur
only once before and that was during GateKeeper's testing phase.  The problem
did not prove to be reproduceable, so no specific bug hunt was initiated.

There shouldn't be any problem running GateKeeper on your Plus, since it was
developed on a MacPlus.  Its setup was as follows:  MacPlus, System 6.0.2,
Finder 6.1, MultiFinder 6.0.1 (although it came straight off the System 6.0.2
distribution disks).  The MacPlus has 1Mb of RAM.  INITs:  HierDA, SuperClock,
AutoBlack, Easy Access.

If the problem occurs again, I'd suggest installing a fresh copy of System
6.0.2.  It was not a requirement of GateKeeper test sites that they use any
particular version of the System, so I don't anticipate any problems with
modern versions of the System, but the fact that you're using a beta version
of the Finder makes me nervous.

<Another problem with Gatekeeper is that the instructions for use are only
<available by running the cdev and reading them in a tiny window.  ResEdit
<cannot read the relevant TEXT resource (too big).  Why were the instructions
<not posted as a text file?  (There was a text file with it, and some
<information in the comp.binaries.mac message, but you have to read the
<on-line help to find out what the checkboxes mean.)

The help text can be opened with ResEdit - that's how it was installed in
the first place.  However, what version of ResEdit are you using?  Some
early versions probably can't open that much text (about 11K).  I used
ResEdit 1.2b2 when creating GateKeeper.

The reason that the help was not included as a separate file is that the
help as it stands is really only a short-form treatment of the subject (which
was all that seemed appropriate for the on-line version) and it seemed more
useful in its online form than in any other as a result.  I figured that anyone
who wanted the help as a separate file would probably just extract it using
ResEdit (as you tried to do), but I didn't count on really old versions being
used (assuming that actually was the problem in this case).  I do plan to
provide much more comprehensive documentation (as a separate file) with
future versions, but I had to draw the line somewhere, and for version 1.0,
the line was drawn at the current, rather terse, online help.

I'd be happy to mail a copy of the original MS Word version of the online
help text to anyone who wants it, or to post it if there's sufficient general
interest.

Hope this helps,
----Chris Johnson
Author of GateKeeper

nagel@blanche.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (01/19/89)

In article <326@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk>, jrk@s1 (Richard Kennaway) writes:

| [problems with GateKeeper corrupting the System file]

I've had no such problems, although I would like to state that while
the author *did* mention that you should give access to various
applications that need to mess with resources and files, he did *not*
make it clear how important it would be if you did not do so (for
example, you didn't realize an application needed access until it was
too late).  As an example, I installed GateKeeper, read the
instructions, set it up to handle various things (Think C, ResEdit,
etc.), but did not remember to do Stuffit or the DA Handler.  The
problem is that many applications and DA's do not check error
conditions as thoroughly as they might (especially when such errors
would normally be extremely rare).  When extracting an application
from Stuffit, it is unable to change the file type to APPL, but
proceeds anyway, etc.  Through several of these mishaps, I managed to
trash the volume directory for the partition I was in (luckily this
didn't happen in my root partition!).  I've removed GateKeeper for the
time being as it is more dangerous than virii.  I'll reinstall it only
after I manage to build a list of exactly which applications require
access permissions.  Perhaps a such a list (of popular programs and
standard programs) could be made part of the documentation?

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Dept of Info and Comp Sci
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu              | The world is coming to an end.
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ucbvax}!ucivax!nagel  | Please log off.

gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (01/19/89)

I have had problems with GateKeeper as mentioned by spmeone earlier.  When I
tried to close the Control Panel with GateKeeper selected, it immediately
crashed and corrupted my System file.  I fear using it again, since it seems
more volatile than any virus I've run across!

Also, this bit about setting up privileges it just a mite confusing, and I use
Macs and deal with them on a technical level every day.  I'm not quite
sure what privileges get set for which file and how I can determine such
settings for other files not mentioned in the little text blurb that accompanied
GateKeeper.  I would really like to use GateKeeper, especially for the log
it creates, but I really can't recommend it when it trashes your System file.

Setup: Mac SE, 20 Meg HD, 1 Meg RAM
       Inits/Cdevs: Superclock 3.0, Vaccine, Moire 2.22 (runs before Gate),
		    and Facade

Any suggestions, hints, or the sort?

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
If you can read this, | Send your invigorating replies to:        | Nixon

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (01/20/89)

In article <4550@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@blanche.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
>[...] I would like to state that while
>the author *did* mention that you should give access to various
>applications that need to mess with resources and files, he did *not*
>make it clear how important it would be if you did not do so (for
>example, you didn't realize an application needed access until it was
>too late).  [...]

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with GateKeeper.  The reason
I didn't jump up and down in the documentation about how important failing
to grant privileges to an application could be, is that none of the
applications used by myself, or my testers, died violently when they failed
to get the privileges they needed (Microsoft Excel, under certain conditions,
was the sole exception to this rule).  For myself, I'd always run an application
once, put it through its paces as necessary, and then check the log to see
what had happened.  Usually, it would turn out that the application in
question had worked without interference from GateKeeper.  On occasions when
there were problems, I'd then grant privileges and that would be that.  I
realize that some applications could crash violently on that first test run,
and that they might even cause enough trouble in doing so to put you off
GateKeeper entirely, but I didn't happen to run into any applications with
such serious problems.  Beyond that, there's not that much I can do about
programs that don't check error conditions - hopefully things will improve
with time.  (In bringing such problems to light, perhaps GateKeeper will
serve another useful purpose.)

>The problem is that many applications and DA's do not check error
>conditions as thoroughly as they might (especially when such errors
>would normally be extremely rare).

True.

>When extracting an application
>from Stuffit, it is unable to change the file type to APPL, but
>proceeds anyway, etc.  Through several of these mishaps, I managed to
>trash the volume directory for the partition I was in (luckily this
>didn't happen in my root partition!).  I've removed GateKeeper for the
>time being as it is more dangerous than virii.  I'll reinstall it only
>after I manage to build a list of exactly which applications require
>access permissions.  Perhaps a such a list (of popular programs and
>standard programs) could be made part of the documentation?

I don't think GateKeeper can really be said to be as dangerous as virii -
at least you know when you have GateKeeper.  :-)  Seriously, though, it sounds
like you ran a program that was clashing with GateKeeper several times without
checking to see if GateKeeper was reporting any problems - this is asking for
trouble.  It isn't a guaranteed fix, but do use the testing cycle I mentioned
above - if I'm interpreting your account correctly, I think that cycle
could have saved you a lot of trouble.

[I encountered conflicts between StuffIt and GateKeeper as well, but even when
I ran it several times in a row, it politely refrained from crashing.]

As to building a comprehensive list of conflicting applications, a number of
people have already sent me information concerning programs that need privs. and
consequently need to be added to the release notes.  I am happy to do this, so
please send me your list and help make GateKeeper useful to the world at large.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.  Let me stress that I can help
people with GateKeeper problems more readily if they mail to me directly.
I read comp.sys.mac regularly, but I don't like the thought of missing reports
of important (or even not-so-important) problems just because I hit the 'n'
key one too many times while reading this newsgroup.

Let me know if I can help,
----Chris Johnson
----Author of GateKeeper

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/21/89)

I'll ditto the system corruption problem.  But another interesting event
just after using GateKeeper, was the lose of 600K of disk space after
the crash (lacking any really good sector mapping tools on the Mac, it's
difficult to tell if I have this back yet or not, however I think not).

Gatekeeper also causes RAMDisk (recently forwarded to the binaries moderator)
not to load.  Facade icons are often corrupted and/or Facade fails to load
(depending on the order in which GateKeeper is run).  Using the GOfer DA
with GateKeeper resident, causes the DA Handler menu bar to be trashed,
later resulting in a spectacular system crash.

I like the philosophy behind GateKeeper and appreciate the effort that
was put into the program to bring it to the Macintosh community at large,
but it found a home in my trash can until some of the nasties are worked
out (trashing system files is a very time costly exercise!).

Stu.

microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only