[comp.sys.mac] ??How to SubSubscript in Word??

cpyang@ccnysci.UUCP (Chao Ping Yang) (01/15/89)

Can anyone out there tell me how to do sub-subscript in MS Word?
Thanks a lot!

--
==Chaoping
cpyang@ccnysci.bitnet

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (01/16/89)

In article <1168@ccnysci.UUCP> cpyang@ccnysci.UUCP (Chao Ping Yang) writes:
>Can anyone out there tell me how to do sub-subscript in MS Word?
>Thanks a lot!

Just increase the number of points to subscript in the character format
dialog box.
--

                                               - Scott

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/17/89)

In article <1168@ccnysci.UUCP> cpyang@ccnysci.UUCP (Chao Ping Yang) writes:
<Can anyone out there tell me how to do sub-subscript in MS Word?
<Thanks a lot!

Couldn't you just set a larger point size for the second one (e.g., 2 pt for
the first 4 pt for the second)? See the By: box in Character Format
dialog.

Shirley Kehr

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (01/17/89)

In article <1168@ccnysci.UUCP> cpyang@ccnysci.UUCP (Chao Ping Yang) writes:
>Can anyone out there tell me how to do sub-subscript in MS Word?

You can use formulas (Words version of dot-commands). To get X^Y^Z, type
	Xcmd-opt-\S(Ycmd-opt-\S(Z))
This can be repeated to any depth desired.  You can get sub-subscripts
similarly, or even super-sub and sub-super scripts.  Note:  To make things
look nice, you can also scale y down by one size, and z by two (the easist
way is to use the cmd-shift-< key).

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{uflorida, codas}!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

annie@cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fetter) (01/17/89)

In article <1168@ccnysci.UUCP> cpyang@ccnysci.UUCP (Chao Ping Yang) writes:
> Can anyone out there tell me how to do sub-subscript in MS Word?
> Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> ==Chaoping
> cpyang@ccnysci.bitnet

 I have no idea if it is a menu command (I use Word sporadically) but if you
hold down command-shift hyphen, you will be thrown in subscript. To return to
normal, hit command-shift p. Just something I stumbled on one day.

--
       Annie Fetter           |      annie@cs.swarthmore.edu    |
VGP-Department of Mathematics |      fetter@swarthmr.bitnet     |

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/18/89)

Command/Shift/-     puts you in subscript mode
Command/Shift/+     puts you in superscript mode
Command/Shift/space takes you back to "normal typing" mode.

The thing I dislike is that MS-Word subscripts look like sh*t.
Currently, they use a 2-point descender and shrink the font by 2
points.  This looks very bad, especially if you're subscripting
numbers.  It should be something like a 3-point descender, and a
3-point font shrink.  Furthermore, you cannot cascade subscripts, an
obvious flaw in MS-Word.  Even Xerox STAR has this basic feature.

I have not discovered a way to change the default subscript, or a way
to do cascaded subscripts without calling out the big guns from the
style sheet.  Will we have to live with this flaw forever?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (01/21/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: ??How to SubSubscript in Word??

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/23/89)

In article <76000331@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

<The thing I dislike is that MS-Word subscripts look like sh*t.
<Currently, they use a 2-point descender and shrink the font by 2
<points.  This looks very bad, especially if you're subscripting
<numbers.  It should be something like a 3-point descender, and a
<3-point font shrink.  Furthermore, you cannot cascade subscripts, an
<obvious flaw in MS-Word.  Even Xerox STAR has this basic feature.

I presume you are complaining about the DEFAULT. If you use Format Character
there is a dialog for sub and superscripts that lets you determine how
far down (or up) the the sub (super) script is positioned. Enter 3 in the
By: box.

As for the size of the characters, that's manual formatting. But if you
started with 10 point type, I'm not sure you'd want to shrink by 3 points.

Mayby Version 4.0 will allow this kind of customization???

Shirley Kehr