[comp.sys.mac] New User Needs Help

bjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) (01/23/89)

Hay Guys I got a question for ya (really a bunch).

I am a soon to be owner of a new Mac SE 20.

Question:

1	Should I buy the SE 20 the price is right $2300 (Student Purchase)
2	Should I get more memory ? 2 Megs ? What is the best way to do so
	please give examples on what Software needs the 2 Megs ?
3	I plan also to buy the ImageWriter II is this the right thing
4	Software I am going to by Works.  Is there anything that is better,
	Cheaper but same type program(s).?
5	I need a modem for the thing 2400 baud is a must what kind.?
	where do I find it.
6	Ext. Hard Drive Same thing cost Place to get it.?

I know this is a lot of info but I am a UNIX(tm) IBM guy myself (right now)
(yes UNIX and IBM are strange bed partners !!)

	Last but not least H E L P ! ! !
			Brian J. Smith

--
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
The Person  :                                                Brian J. Smith

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (01/23/89)

In article <19681@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> bjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) writes:
>Hay Guys I got a question for ya (really a bunch).
>
>I am a soon to be owner of a new Mac SE 20.
>
>Question:
>
>1	Should I buy the SE 20 the price is right $2300 (Student Purchase)

Consider a Macintosh Plus.  The performance differences are minor (SE
stands for Slightly Enhanced is the joke), the price difference is
major.  Street price for a Plus is $1300, student price is presumably
less still.

Don't buy your disk from Apple.  They are expensive, noisy, slow, and
have short warrantees.  You can get a 20 Meg drive for $500 if you
look around.

>2	Should I get more memory ? 2 Megs ? What is the best way to do so
>	please give examples on what Software needs the 2 Megs ?

Memory is nice.  The biggest reason for more memory on an SE is that
you can then run MultiFinder.  With 1 Meg you really can't.

>3	I plan also to buy the ImageWriter II is this the right thing

If you want a printer and can't afford a LaserWriter, the ImageWriter
works well.

>4	Software I am going to by Works.  Is there anything that is better,
>	Cheaper but same type program(s).?
>5	I need a modem for the thing 2400 baud is a must what kind.?
>	where do I find it.
>6	Ext. Hard Drive Same thing cost Place to get it.?

Interal vs. external drive: A Mac with an internal drive is more
portable than a Mac with an external drive, but the external drive
itself is far more portable than is an SE.  I carry my 4.5 pound disk
drive between home and work every day.  Try that with an SE.  Also,
the external drive is more flexible.  You can plug it into a IIx, II,
SE, Plus, SEx (I like that name better than SE/30).

Have fun.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or