[comp.sys.mac] Is Supramodem any good?

owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) (01/20/89)

A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Owen

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (01/21/89)

In article <40260004@hpindda.HP.COM> owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:
>A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
>Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
>experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

  My girlfriends owned one for about 3 months.  She likes it and I like it.
Works well, SmartCom thinks it's a smartModem.  It's small, fast, cheap
and has the power switch on the front so you don't have to go looking for
it.

  I've had good experiences with it!!
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

jgc@uoregon.uoregon.edu (James Gerald Campbell) (01/24/89)

In article <40260004@hpindda.HP.COM> owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:

>A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
>Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
>experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Owen

I have been using a Supramodem for about 2 months.  Overall, I have found
no problem with it, with the following exception:  If the modem is off, and
my Mac is on and I turn the modem on using the (convienent) front panel switch,
ksometimes (>50%) my Mac instantaly turns off.  I have a Mac II with the
software controlled off.  I have solved this problem by leaving the thing
on all the time, but I have a friend who turns his off regularly since his
roommates' phone conversations are audiable over the built in speaker and
its driving him crazy.  He either turns off his Mac II first, before turning
on the modem, or chances it and worries about what damage he may be doing.
Anyone else with experience/solutions/suggestions?

jim campbell