[comp.sys.mac] FAX

EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET (01/16/89)

Does anyone have experience with FAX machines linked to Macs, preferably
sharing a FAX over ApleTalk?  Ideally, I'm looking for hardware/software
recommendations to allow 1 FAX to be accessed by any AppleTalk user and
which suppports background processing and is group 3 and 4 compatible.
Looks like that rules out Apple's product :)-------------

Steve Dahm
exz@psuvm.bitnet

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/18/89)

EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET(Steve Dahm) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Does anyone have experience with FAX machines linked to Macs, preferably
>sharing a FAX over ApleTalk?  Ideally, I'm looking for hardware/software
>recommendations to allow 1 FAX to be accessed by any AppleTalk user and
>which suppports background processing and is group 3 and 4 compatible.
>Looks like that rules out Apple's product :)-------------

	Assuming that you mean FAX Modems  as opposed to FAX Machines, then I
think I can give you some informatioin that might be helpful.
	First of all, to my knowledge all of the current FAX modems for the Mac
are both Group 2 and Group 3 compatible (there is no group 4!) with some
minor exceptions (a FAX Machine here and there which didn't follow the rules.)
	All of the FAX Modems can be used over AppleTalk ASSUMING that you have
a hardware device such as the Shiva NetSerial to hook it up to, however doing
so may cause your network to SLOW DOWN as FAX transmission ties up the netword
quite well.  All of the modems have software that {does backgrounding (for
the Apple you can get BackFax) and other 'neato' features.
	I have not yet found one that I like, but I expect to see two new ones at
the Expo and have high hopes for either or both of these.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +
+                                 +                                   +

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/20/89)

The tutorial I recently bought on ISDN says that one of the uses
of ISDN will be group 4 fax.  Are you sure there are no group 4
fax machines?

					Tim Smith

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/24/89)

I recently wrote:

>	Assuming that you mean FAX Modems  as opposed to FAX Machines, then I
>think I can give you some informatioin that might be helpful.
>	First of all, to my knowledge all of the current FAX modems for the Mac
>are both Group 2 and Group 3 compatible (there is no group 4!) with some
>minor exceptions (a FAX Machine here and there which didn't follow the rules.)

	I would like to apologize by correcting myself.  What I should have said
is that there is a proposal/development of a group 4 specification for FAX
transmission which will better support high resolutioin graphics (among other
things) and that there are no Group 4 FAX Modems (nor Fax machines for that
matter).
	I am sorry for the error...