[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter II SC memory question

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (01/19/89)

Hi there,

could somebody tell me why there are SIMM-sockets in the LW II SC and NTX
but not in the NT?
And why does the SC need these sockets? Will the print quality, print area
or printing speed be enhanced using 1 Meg SIMMs? Is it possible/allowed to
use 1 Meg parts at all? Would the performance be significantly better??

I just bought a LW SC and could easily get the new 1-MB-LW-SIMMs...

Thanks a lot,

        Gary

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (01/24/89)

In article <736@ethz.UUCP> czychi@bernina.UUCP (Gary Czychi) writes:

>could somebody tell me why there are SIMM-sockets in the LW II SC and NTX
>but not in the NT?
>And why does the SC need these sockets? Will the print quality, print area
>or printing speed be enhanced using 1 Meg SIMMs? Is it possible/allowed to
>use 1 Meg parts at all? Would the performance be significantly better??

The SC has socketed memory to allow for possible future development.  With
present firmware/software, however, it has no way of using more memory.  I'm
not familiar with details of the hardware design, so I'm not sure what would
happen with 1 Meg parts, but I am sure that there would be no enhancement.

The NTX is capable of using more memory than it is shipped with; I'm not
sure how you go about it.

David Casseres

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (01/24/89)

In article <465@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <736@ethz.UUCP> czychi@bernina.UUCP (Gary Czychi) writes:
>
>>could somebody tell me why there are SIMM-sockets in the LW II SC and NTX
>>but not in the NT?
>>And why does the SC need these sockets? Will the print quality, print area
>>or printing speed be enhanced using 1 Meg SIMMs? Is it possible/allowed to
>>use 1 Meg parts at all? Would the performance be significantly better??
>
>The SC has socketed memory to allow for possible future development.  With
>present firmware/software, however, it has no way of using more memory.  I'm
>not familiar with details of the hardware design, so I'm not sure what would
>happen with 1 Meg parts, but I am sure that there would be no enhancement.
>
>The NTX is capable of using more memory than it is shipped with; I'm not
>sure how you go about it.
>
>David Casseres

Additionally, if you upgrade your IISC to a IINTX, you can use the
1Meg of memory that was in the IISC in the IINTX and make it a 3Meg
printer...

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (01/25/89)

In article <465@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>The SC has socketed memory to allow for possible future development.  With
>present firmware/software, however, it has no way of using more memory.  I'm
>not familiar with details of the hardware design, so I'm not sure what would
>happen with 1 Meg parts, but I am sure that there would be no enhancement.
>
>The NTX is capable of using more memory than it is shipped with; I'm not
>sure how you go about it.

I don't like to disagree with someone from Apple about one of their products,
but I have both an SC and an NTX and can state that the SC memory is on SIMMs,
not socketed (at least on the SC board that I own -- one of the early ones).
You add more memory to an NTX by adding SIMMs.  There are three banks of
four SIMMs possible.  It comes standard with the first two banks filled with
256KB parts for a total of 2MB and the third bank empty.  Populating the
board with SIMMs is analogous to populating a Mac II board.  Like parts in
groups of four.  The maximum possible at the moment is 12MB.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (01/25/89)

In article <24677@apple.Apple.COM> kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) writes:

>Additionally, if you upgrade your IISC to a IINTX, you can use the
>1Meg of memory that was in the IISC in the IINTX and make it a 3Meg
>printer...

Oh boy!!  Just what I always wanted.  I'll spend $4000 to upgrade to the NTX
but I get another meg of memory for free (almost).  ;-)

-Ace