[comp.sys.mac] Reviews Wanted: Spelling Checkers

makolb@athena.mit.edu (Tracer Bullet) (01/25/89)

Hi there.  A few weeks ago, just after New Year's, I posted a request
(Message-ID <8578@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, if you're curious) for
information on TeXtures-compatible spelling checkers, in preparation for
starting my thesis.  Unfortunately, while I got numerous responses of
the "let me know, too" variety, I only got two (brief) replies about
specific programs.  Assuming that my original posting suffered from bad
timing, I've decided to re-post my request, with a somewhat more broad
title.

So, tell me about your favorite spelling checker.  What do you like
about it?  What don't you like?  Will it let you define your own
(large-scale) dictionaries (e.g., TeX commands, proper nouns)?  What
about document-specific dictionaries?  Are special characters (e.g.,
backslash, numbers, quotation marks) considered parts of words, or as
word delimiters?  Does your checker run interactively, in batch mode,
or both?  What else should I know about it?

And, while we're on the subject, anything you'd care to tell me about
grammar-checkers or thesaurus programs would also be appreciated.

Please reply via-email; if there's sufficient interest, I'll post a
summary.  Those who responded to my original posting need not re-request
a summary.  Thanks much,
					- Mark Kolb

Internet: MAK%Hippocrene@Athena.MIT.Edu
USENet:   ...!mit-eddie!hippocrene.mit.edu!mak
Note:     Assume standard disclaimer
Slogan:	  If it's ACME -- it's a gasser!