[comp.sys.mac] "Self-taught" programmers

danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (01/24/89)

In article <76000334@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Virtual memory is not the type of software some self-taught programmer
>can knock off in a weekend with a couple of pots of coffee :-) In
>fact, most self-taught programmers probably couldn't hack the problem
>at all.

I don't want to turn this issue into a flame-throwing war, but my common
sense was slightly offended by the above-quoted article that implied that
only college-educated programmers could handle the complexities of
enhancing an existing OS with virtual memory.  I am sure that when
Mr. Gillies has a little more real-world experience under his belt, he
will learn that a college-diploma does not equate with skill, that most
education occurs outside the university (is self-taught), and that great
computer-related work has been done by people who have no degree but do
have what it takes to succeed in this business: curiousity, motivation,
aptitude, and a hard-work ethic.

Dan Milliron

phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) (01/24/89)

In article <3709@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:
>In article <76000334@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Virtual memory is not the type of software some self-taught programmer
>>can knock off in a weekend with a couple of pots of coffee :-) In
>>fact, most self-taught programmers probably couldn't hack the problem
>>at all.
>
>I don't want to turn this issue into a flame-throwing war...

	I don't see an issue at all: I am still a self-taught
programmer even though I have an MIT degree.  A college degree
has little to do with being self-taught.

	phil sohn		phil@ems.media.mit.edu

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/26/89)

/* Written  7:04 am  Jan 24, 1989 by phil@mit-amt in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Re: "Self-taught" programmers" ---------- */
In article <3709@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:
>In article <76000334@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Virtual memory is not the type of software some self-taught programmer
>>can knock off in a weekend with a couple of pots of coffee :-) In
>>fact, most self-taught programmers probably couldn't hack the problem
>>at all.
>
>I don't want to turn this issue into a flame-throwing war...

Look, I apologize for a badly phrased uncalled-for slur on self-taught
programmers.  I myself was a self-taught programmer before I went to
college, there was no way I could have implemented VM then.  Even
today, I have enough sense to be scared of the task.  What I meant to
say was:

"Virtual Memory is Tough.  It is a lot trickier to do than a standard
Mac application.  There are a lot of people out there who would have
trouble getting the software right.  It takes some advanced study
[reading books] (and probably some experience) to get it right.

$295 is cheap, considering the cost of developing VM"

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies