[comp.sys.mac] What are Adobe AFM files for?

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (01/25/89)

I've been using several Adobe fonts for a while and I still am not sure
what the heck the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) files are for.  Are they used
to better display the fonts on the screen or just when printing?

Basically, I work on 2 systems, only 1 of which is connected to a
LaserWriter.  Should I install the AFM files on both machines or just
the printing one?

Thanks for the help...

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) (01/25/89)

In article <3536@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
>I've been using several Adobe fonts for a while and I still am not sure
>what the heck the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) files are for.  Are they used
>to better display the fonts on the screen or just when printing?

	Neither, they contain information about character bounderies
and widths and things.  You only need them if you are in some very
special cases.  The only program that uses them (to my knowledge)
is a afm<->tfm converter.  (AFM = Adobe Font Metric, TFM = TeX
Font Metric.)  MacTeX then uses the tfm files.

>Basically, I work on 2 systems, only 1 of which is connected to a
>LaserWriter.  Should I install the AFM files on both machines or just
>the printing one?

	There really is no way to install the afm files in the system
or such.  No reason to have them taking up room.  Throw them away.
(Keep a copy on back-up floppy, of course.)

	phil sohn	phil@ems.media.mit.edu

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (01/26/89)

In article <3536@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
>I've been using several Adobe fonts for a while and I still am not sure
>what the heck the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) files are for.  Are they used
>to better display the fonts on the screen or just when printing?
>
>Basically, I work on 2 systems, only 1 of which is connected to a
>LaserWriter.  Should I install the AFM files on both machines or just
>the printing one?
>
>Thanks for the help...

If you don't know what they're for, just throw them away.  No kidding!

They are text files (open them in your favorite word processor and browse).
I have written applications that use them all the time.  They contain
information about character size, kerning (placement adjustments), and
character formation that are useful if you're writing an application that
will output to a LaserWriter or similar printer without going through the
standard Macintosh printer driver.

Your standard applications don't need them, since they get this information
from QuickDraw.