[comp.sys.mac] Lightspeed Pascal 20

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (12/13/88)

Sometime in August of this year I purchased Lightspeed Pascal for
the Mac, thinking I was getting version 2.0.  I received 1.1.  I
sent in my registration card, but never received an upgrade
notice.  In accordance with a posting here by Rich Siegal (sp?) I
sent a letter to Symantec, enclosing my receipt for LSP, asking
for version 2.0.  I never received 2.0, but today received an
upgrade notice and order form from Symantec, postmarked December
1, 1988.

Now what?  Did my letter generate the upgrade notice?  Do I need
to send it in?  This notice asks for payment of shipping charges
for 2.0.  Since I didn't include payment for shipping with the
letter suggested by Rich, was my letter rejected?

I note that the upgrade order form only offers UPS shipping
within the US and "Internataional Air Mail".  I live in the US
(not "International"), but UPS doesn't deliver here.  Should I
write a note on the order form or will it be processed by a clerk
who doesn't understand that there are places in the United States
that are served by the United States Postal Service but which are
not served by UPS?  How much postage should I include if I want
LSP sent to me by Priority Mail (US Air Parcel Post)?  (They
don't say how much it weighs, so I have no idea how much Priority
Mail might cost.)

Needless to say, I am more than a bit upset about Symantec's
inadequate marketing techniques.  I bought and paid for LSP 2.0
way back in August -- here it is December and I still have 1.1
and a piece of paper that doesn't make much sense.  (Those of you
who saw my posting about Microsoft's idiotic marketing know that
they are not any better.  In fact, since they have never sent me
a single upgrade notice, I'd have to say they are worse....) I've
always thought that Think was a great company with some nice
products -- how did they get mixed up with Symantec?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^ Mike G Newman         |  Phone: 670-234-7726                  ^
^ BX 1510               |  MCI: mnewman                         ^
^ Saipan MP 96950       |  usenet: mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com ^
^ Mariana Islands       |                                       ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ .......

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/14/88)

In article <12574@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sometime in August of this year I purchased Lightspeed Pascal for
>the Mac, thinking I was getting version 2.0.  I received 1.1.  I

	Did the vendor TELL you that you were getting 2.0? Or did
you simply assume that you were going to get 2.0? We first showed
2.0 at the August MacWorld, at which time we announced a ship date
of (October?). If you were told that you were getting 2.0, then
you were misled.

>sent a letter to Symantec, enclosing my receipt for LSP, asking
>for version 2.0.  I never received 2.0, but today received an
>upgrade notice and order form from Symantec, postmarked December
>1, 1988.

	It sounds as though something got crossed up; your registration
card was filed, which generated the update letter, and your update
request went into the Twilight Zone.

	I would recommend that you call Customer Services at the
number listed in the letter,  and see if you can set them straight.
At the very worst, you may need to send in your receipt again; at the
very best, your order's being processed.

>I note that the upgrade order form only offers UPS shipping
>within the US and "Internataional Air Mail".  I live in the US
>(not "International"), but UPS doesn't deliver here.  Should I

	Tricky. This is probably best resolved on the phone with
Customer Service.

>Needless to say, I am more than a bit upset about Symantec's
>inadequate marketing techniques.  I bought and paid for LSP 2.0

	How are they "inadequate"?

>always thought that Think was a great company with some nice
>products -- how did they get mixed up with Symantec?

	How I wish I could answer.... :-) Part of the problem is that
with the acquisition by Symantec, a much larger  organization is responsible
for handling the operational details. When THINK was THINK,  it would be
no big deal for me to wander back to the shipping room, find out about
your order, put it in a box, and mail it to you. But times have changed.
Our base of operations is three thousand miles away from where I'm reading
this note, and I no longer have the ability to personally resolve such
problems.
	In addition, many processes (such as the C and Pascal upgrades) are
being operationally tested for the first time since the merger, and at
the same time there are internal changes at Symantec which serve only to
stir things up further.

	It's unfortunate, and I'm sorry you're having problems. But there's
little I can do except to point you in the right direction.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/16/88)

In article <12574@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:

<Should I
<write a note on the order form or will it be processed by a clerk
<who doesn't understand that there are places in the United States
<that are served by the United States Postal Service but which are
<not served by UPS?

<^ Mike G Newman         |  Phone: 670-234-7726                  ^
<^ BX 1510               |  MCI: mnewman                         ^
<^ Saipan MP 96950       |  usenet: mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com ^
<^ Mariana Islands       |                                       ^

Remember what you also said earlier: "Living in Paradise" has its rewards.
You could be in my situation. UPS delivers to my house, but the US
Post Office does not.  Neither do most stores, so I get my choice of
Sears, Sears, or Sears.  And they don't come all the way to the house;
they walk appliances up the hill on a dolly or talk you into bringing
it up in your station wagon, thereby crunching some of the metal...

Let's face it.  There are advantages and disadvantages to living off the
beaten path.  Very few can have it all.

Shirley Kehr

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (01/21/89)

I kind of hate acquiring the reputation of being a chronic
complainer, but here it is, late January 1989 and I still don't
have Lightspeed Pascal 2.0....

You all know the tale: I thought I was ordering LSP 2.0 in August
of '88.  I admit I was dumb in believing the Mac Magazines and
the Symantec ads about LSP 2.0 being available; but dumb I was.
I wrote Symantec - no answer.  I sent the letter suggested by
Rich asking for a free upgrade - no answer.  I send in my upgrade
form in early December (authorizing Priority Mail charged to my
credit card) and STILL NO ANSWER! :-(.

Any suggestions short of a $20.00  800 number call would be
sincerely appreciated.  After all, if a company refuses to
answers its mail; what can one do?

*=================================================================*
*   Michael G Newman          |  Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com     *
*   Now or Never              |  sun!cup.portal.com!Mike_G_Newman *
*   P.O. Box 1510             |  MCI: mnewman (333-1196)          *
*   Saipan MP 96950 USA       |  voice: (670)234-7726             *
*=================================================================*

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (01/22/89)

In article <13771@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
#I kind of hate acquiring the reputation of being a chronic
#complainer, but here it is, late January 1989 and I still don't
#have Lightspeed Pascal 2.0....
#
[Long description of experiences almost identical to mine deleted.]

I finally got mine last week after several expensive telephone calls.
I was told that they are installing an 800 number and will have it
"in a couple of weeks," whatever that means. However, I suggest
the following:

Write to Symantec, 10201 Torrey Ave., Cupertino CA 95104,
Attn: Upgrade Department: Scott Schoeder.

Send a copy of your proof-of-purchase, your registration #, and
a covering letter.

Send it _Certified, with return receipt requested_. That should
get their attention, as well as providing you with leverage should
you have to argue with them on the phone.

Wait a decent interval, and then start bugging them by
telephone. The number is 408-252-3570. But check the 800
number directory assistance first, you might luck out.

And good luck!!!

BTW, despite all the excellent help that we have gotten from
Rich Siegel (thanks, Rich), no one there seems to have heard
of him. This lack of service from Symantec's upgrade department
is disgraceful. Rich, would it help for you personally to
look into this problem? Thanks.

Bill Jefferys

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/23/89)

In article <3559@utastro.UUCP> bill@astro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>Write to Symantec, 10201 Torrey Ave., Cupertino CA 95104,
>Attn: Upgrade Department: Scott Schoeder.

	No "y" in "Torre"... :-)

>Send it _Certified, with return receipt requested_. That should
>get their attention, as well as providing you with leverage should
>you have to argue with them on the phone.

	Excellent advice.

>This lack of service from Symantec's upgrade department
>is disgraceful.

	I think it's wisest for me not to comment on this.

>Rich, would it help for you personally to
>look into this problem? Thanks.

	But of course! :-)I don't have much contact with Customer Service
(I'm development, not customer or technical support), but I have all of
the relevant information, so I will go bother some people and see what
I can see....

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (01/23/89)

Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 has arrived!

For some reason Symantec mailed it on December 8th, via surface,
paying 'foreign' postal rates.  This cost them over $6.00 and
took 46 days.  They should have sent it via domestic air parcel
post.  This would have cost about $3.00 and would have taken
about 7 days.

I still haven't received 'Just Enough Pascal' which I ordered
with my 2.0 upgrade form.  Is it coming?  Did Symantec just
ignore my order as it ignored my shipping suggestions?

Am I forgiven for lacking faith in Symantec's marketing
abilities? :-)

*=================================================================*

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (01/25/89)

In article <1059@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <3559@utastro.UUCP> bill@astro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>>This lack of service from Symantec's upgrade department
>>is disgraceful.
>
>	I think it's wisest for me not to comment on this.
>
>		--Rich

I am thoroughly convinced that if it weren't for the efforts of Rich
Siegel, Symantec would have lost every customer it had on the net. Time
and time again we hear horror stories of their Customer (Dis)Service
department.  I myself went through many of months of phone calls in order
to get my LSC update.  I promised myself then and there I would never deal
with Symantec again.

Rich, on behalf of all the weary readers of the net, thank you for you
efforts.

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/25/89)

In article <3537@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:

>Rich, on behalf of all the weary readers of the net, thank you for you
>efforts.

	And my thanks to all of you, who have provided support for my efforts.

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (01/27/89)

In article <3537@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
>I am thoroughly convinced that if it weren't for the efforts of Rich
>Siegel, Symantec would have lost every customer it had on the net.

I must say that I never had any problems with Symantec with the upgrades
from 2.x to 3.x LSC.

--
** James Moore **
** Internet:  jamesm@sco.com **