[comp.sys.mac] AppleTalk Info

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (01/25/89)

	Can anyone tell me where I might find information about how to
write some kind of AppleTalk interface for VAX/VMS?  This isn't a pressing
issue, I just thought it would be interesting to experiment with.

	On a similar note, is there some program that will let me transfer
files between two Macs that are connected with AppleTalk (localtalk cables)?
I suppose I could use Kermit on the serial port, but the localtalk cables
are there for printer sharing anyway, so I'd rather use them.  I know about
Tops and Appleshare for making a file server - this option is financially
impossible right now since we can't spare a Mac.  All I need is a file
transfer program.  Thanks in advance.

--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwater@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) (01/25/89)

In article <1579@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>	On a similar note, is there some program that will let me transfer
>files between two Macs that are connected with AppleTalk (localtalk cables)?
>I suppose I could use Kermit on the serial port, but the localtalk cables
>are there for printer sharing anyway, so I'd rather use them.  I know about
>Tops and Appleshare for making a file server - this option is financially
>impossible right now since we can't spare a Mac.  All I need is a file
>transfer program.  Thanks in advance.

You do not dedicate a machine to TOPS.  Any machine that has mounted
volumes can still be used locally.  You will need a copy of TOPS both
for the Mac that has the file and the Mac that wants the file.

	phil sohn		phil@ems.media.mit.edu

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (01/25/89)

In article <1579@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>Is there some program that will let me transfer
>files between two Macs that are connected with AppleTalk (localtalk cables)?

NCSA Telnet implements an ftp server.  There's a version (called BYU
Telnet, I think) which includes a crude ftp client, as well.  So, by
running Telnet on each end you can do Mac-to-Mac transfers across
AppleTalk.  Telnet was available via anonymous ftp from
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  I vaguely remember reading that
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu was an alternative host (or alias?).

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/26/89)

> 	Can anyone tell me where I might find information about how to
> write some kind of AppleTalk interface for VAX/VMS?  This isn't a pressing
> issue, I just thought it would be interesting to experiment with.

A product exists called "AppleTalk for VMS" which provides a subset of
Appletalk services to a VMS programmer. It's implimented as a shared image,
and supports, I think, four different means of connecting the VAX to the
Appletalk network (we used Ethernet and a Fastpath Box). I believe that Apple
is currently distributing it - it's either them or DEC. Appletalk for VMS
is the basis for the Apple/DEC connectivity aliance.

Appletalk for VMS does have some speed problems. We ended up running the
bridge program, and clients thereof, at high priorities (up to 10 from a
base of 4). Once the priorities were raised, we had few problems with the
network. I think that Apple is re-writting the code to use kernel mode code,
which should result in a faster product.

The other main gripe for me was that there were no include files for
the routines. After typing in about 15 of the routine definitions for Pascal,
I decided to screw it, and wrote the client in assembler. Not everyone would
want to do this, however, so include files would be nice (I haven't seen the
2.0 version, though, if it's out. I was up to 1.6).

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (01/26/89)

In article <1579@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>are there for printer sharing anyway, so I'd rather use them.  I know about
>Tops and Appleshare for making a file server - this option is financially
>impossible right now since we can't spare a Mac.  All I need is a file
>transfer program.  Thanks in advance.

  Yes you can use TOPS to build a fileserver, but, TOPS, is primarily a
distributed AppleTalk File-System.  We have four Mac's here all running off
of Local Talk with Top's on each one for sharing files.

  I'd take a closer look at Tops before you dismiss it.
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP (Deepak Seth) (01/27/89)

Hi folks!  I took the suggestion from article <ephraim@think.com> regarding
getting ftp/telnet (BYU) sources from the following sources mentioned

zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu  and  ftp.ncsa.uiu.edu.

I was not successful in my anonymous ftp attempt.  I did connect to
ncsa.uiu.edu, however it would not let me enter using "anonymous".
Ftp to zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu gave me an "unknown host" reply.  Could
someone please post the internet numbers and names of sites where I
can anonymous ftp to get these sources.

This will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Deepak SEth