[comp.sys.mac] Exabyte on a Mac

sid@grub.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (01/17/89)

I can get a good deal on a 700 meg esdi hitachi disk and an Exabyte tape
drive from a friend of mine. I would like to put these on a Mac II, but
don't know if I can.

I have been told that the Apple SCSI implementation is different from the
ANSI SCSI definition. Does anyone know what the difference is? I have also
been told that Western Digital and Adaptec have Mac-SCSI to ESDI adapters, but
cannot find anyone that knows the correct part numbers. Does anyone know the
magic part number? Integrating the Exabyte looks a little harder because one
probably needs a driver, due to the differences between the Mac tape drive
and the Exabyte. Has anyone ever gotten one of these working on
a Macintosh?

Thanks for the help,

sid
linus!grub!sid

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (01/26/89)

In article <122@grub.UUCP> sid@grub.UUCP (Sid Stuart) writes:
>I can get a good deal on a 700 meg esdi hitachi disk and an Exabyte tape
>drive from a friend of mine. I would like to put these on a Mac II, but
>don't know if I can.
>
>I have been told that the Apple SCSI implementation is different from the
>ANSI SCSI definition. Does anyone know what the difference is? I have also

Common misconception.  Apple SCSI isn't any different from ANSI SCSI, it just
isn't.  What you will need is a driver.  I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (01/28/89)

In article <122@grub.UUCP> sid@grub.UUCP (Sid Stuart) writes:
>I can get a good deal on a 700 meg esdi hitachi disk and an Exabyte tape
>drive from a friend of mine. I would like to put these on a Mac II, but
>don't know if I can.

>                   Integrating the Exabyte looks a little harder because one
>probably needs a driver, due to the differences between the Mac tape drive
>and the Exabyte. Has anyone ever gotten one of these working on
>a Macintosh?

A company called BlackHole Technology advertises an Exabyte for the Mac, so
they probably have a driver.  I would imagine that they want you to buy the
drive from them, however.

Tape drivers are not trivial, because Apple's SCSI support lacks the ability
to return the byte count if a READ terminates early, and because you have to
do Blind Reads and Writes to keep an Exabyte running at streaming rates
(240 KB/sec).

I am also working on a driver for the Exabyte, but in the end it will probably
be bundled with a requirement for drive purchase, also.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)