[comp.sys.mac] Why No Big Screen SE?

groves@noao.edu (Lee Groves) (01/28/89)

From article <5580@paris.ics.uci.edu>, by poleary@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Petey O'Leary):
> In article <248@ai.etl.army.mil> richr@ai.etl.army.mil. (Richard Rosenthal) writes:
>
>>  Why doesn't Apple offer some kind of all-in-one SE with a bigger screen?

[stuff deleted]
> Can you imagine > an SE with a 13" color screen in it?
> How about "MacMicrowave" instead of  "MacToaster"...

Looks to me like we've just invented the Lisa :) :) :)

Lee

--
Lee J. Groves, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ
Usenet:   {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!lgroves or  uunet!noao.edu!lgroves

planting@sun16.cs.pittsburgh.edu (Dr. Harry Plantinga) (01/28/89)

>>  Why doesn't Apple offer some kind of all-in-one SE with a bigger screen?
>
>Speculation:
>
>Apple seems to be clinging to Steve Jobs idea of the "MacToaster": a computer
>that is easy to use, unobtrusive, portable, etc.

I've long thought that the SE should have had a 12" portrait-
orientation monitor.  Instead of a 5" x 7" usable area, it would have a
9" x 7" usable area, able to display a full page of text (without page
boarders).  The only difference necessary in the size of the box is
that it would have to be 4" taller.  But that seems reasonable:  many
people have their mac plusses and SEs on pedestals of some sort
anyway.  They could even make it a hair wider to make the proportions
more attractive if necessary.

How 'bout it apple?  For many people, the screen size of the SE is a
major complaint.

Harry Plantinga
planting@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu