[comp.sys.mac] Two SE/030 questions

jamespa@csuf3b.UUCP (James Paul) (01/28/89)

In article <15631@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:

>Two questions for anyone knowledgeable about the new SE/030:
>
>1. The 030 is supposed to ba a IIx in an SE body, including the color
>   QuickDraw ROM routines.  My question is this: if the built-in screen
>   is still monochrome, what happens when a program calls the color
>   routines?
>
>2. My current SE has been upgraded to 2.5Mb with two 1Meg SIMMs.  Can I
>   efficiently use these in a 1Mb 030 (or IIx)?  If so, what do I end up with,
>   2Mb, 2.5Mb, or 3Mb.
>

>Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Answers (I think) :

1. The same thing that happend when you call color quickdraw routines on
   a Mac II or IIx with a monochrome monitor. You won't be able to see
   color, simple as thet. Remember that the system knows the screen depth
   of the monitors connected to it, and will display accordingly.

2. The RAM banks in the SE/30 are 4 SIMMs, like the II and IIx, so you
   need to make changes of 4 SIMMs at once. Each bank must be of the
   same density SIMMs. If you only have 2 1M SIMMs, I believe you will
   need 2 more to use them, giving you a 5 meg SE/30. (This answer is
   assuming that the SE/30 RAM situation is the same as a Mac II, as I
   have bee told. A new Tech Note explains the SE/30 RAM situation, but
   I have not yet received it.)

James L. Paul            ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac |
CIS: 72767,3436                lll-lcc!csustan | !csufres!jamespa
GEnie: J.Paul               hplabs!hp-sdd!sdsu |

DISCLAIMER: I said it. If I'm wrong, well, oops.