[comp.sys.mac] Multi-Finder Trash?

woodl@byuvax.bitnet (01/24/89)

     I have just begun to use multi-finder.  One rather annoying probelm I've
run across is that when I come back to the finder with full screen applications
open (e.g., Word), the trash doesn't come to the front with the open windows.
Is there something I'm missing or is this a feature?
Thanks, Larry Wood, WoodL@BYUVAX

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (01/26/89)

In article <353woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:

>      I have just begun to use multi-finder.  One rather annoying probelm I've
> run across is that when I come back to the finder with full screen applications
> open (e.g., Word), the trash doesn't come to the front with the open windows.
> Is there something I'm missing or is this a feature?
> Thanks, Larry Wood, WoodL@BYUVAX

That's not a bug, that's a feature!  Or vice-versus, take your pick.

MultiFinder only knows what portions of the screen a program owns by the
windows that program declares as its own.  Since MultiFinder arrived,
Apple has been expressly recommended that no program write to the screen
unless its in a window (unlike Finder's icons).  I sure hope this is up
for change in the next major Finder revision.

In the meantime, if you don't want to resize each of the windows in every
non-Finder layer blocking your trash can, the best you can currently do (I
think) is keep the trash's WINDOW open, and the (main) window for each
mounted disk.  This rapidly can rapidly fill your screen with relatively
unused windows, though.

Along these lines: has anyone hacked Gregg Mariott's window-blasting
FKEY (from an old MacTutor) to work successfully with MultiFinder? That
would be an ideal solution to getting to that trash can.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/26/89)

I find this really annoying too.  As a temporary solution, I keep a
folder on the top level of my hard disk called "trash."  When I can't
get to the trash, I put files in there, and when I get around to it, I
trash the folder.

Apple, please either make the trash can come to the top (along with the
disks icons on the right side), or at least add an option under the file
menu called "delete" or "trash" which would do the same as moving something
into the trash.

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (01/27/89)

In article <2355@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@ilium.UUCP (Nick Jackiw) writes:
>(Talk about window clutter)
>
>Along these lines: has anyone hacked Gregg Mariott's window-blasting
>FKEY (from an old MacTutor) to work successfully with MultiFinder? That
>would be an ideal solution to getting to that trash can.

You might consider getting the version of MultiFinder that APDA ships with
its SADE release.  This latest MF version will allow you to set aside layers
of windows that obscure your view of the desktop.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/27/89)

In article <489@internal.Apple.COM>, goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) writes...

>In article <2355@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@ilium.UUCP (Nick Jackiw) writes:
>>(Talk about window clutter)
>
>You might consider getting the version of MultiFinder that APDA ships with
>its SADE release.  This latest MF version will allow you to set aside layers
>of windows that obscure your view of the desktop.

Is there any particular reason this is just released with SADE?  Is there
any easy way to get ahold of this version, other than finding someone who's
bought SADE?

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/27/89)

In article <1622@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
|In article <489@internal.Apple.COM>, goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) writes...
|>You might consider getting the version of MultiFinder that APDA ships with
|>its SADE release. . . .
|Is there any particular reason this is just released with SADE?  Is there
|any easy way to get ahold of this version, other than finding someone who's
|bought SADE?

It may be available now, but the version that came with the Beta
release of SADE was an alpha development version (included because it
has features needed for SADE and another process to interact).
=
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

eby@pegasus.ATT.COM (Robert P. Eby) (01/27/89)

In article <8400066@m.cs.uiuc.edu> rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Apple, please either make the trash can come to the top (along with the
>disks icons on the right side), or at least add an option under the file
>menu called "delete" or "trash" which would do the same as moving something
>into the trash.

You can do this now!  Just double click the trashcan, and leave the "Trash"
window open.  It will come to the foreground along with all other finder
windows when you select the finder "layer".

>David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
>University of Illinois
__
Robert P. Eby			UUCP:   att!pegasus!eby
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Domain: eby@pegasus.ATT.COM

swenson@pythagoras.Stanford.EDU (Norman Swenson) (01/28/89)

In article <8400066@m.cs.uiuc.edu> rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Apple, please either make the trash can come to the top (along with the
>disks icons on the right side), or at least add an option under the file
>menu called "delete" or "trash" which would do the same as moving something
>into the trash.

I keep program icons on the right hand edge of the desktop for easy
access.  It would be great if these came to the top when you switch to
the finder also.

Norm
swenson@isl.stanford.edu