[comp.sys.mac] Where can one get SFDriveInit sic?

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (01/24/89)

A while ago I saw some info on an init a guy won a contest with
which replaces the drive button in the open/close dialogs with
a pop-up menu. Is this available as shareware anywhere or is it
a commercial product? Is there an equivalent PD or shareware version
of Think's similar product called HFS Navigator? Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/27/89)

> A while ago I saw some info on an init a guy won a contest with
> which replaces the drive button in the open/close dialogs with
> a pop-up menu. Is this available as shareware anywhere or is it
> a commercial product? Is there an equivalent PD or shareware version
> of Think's similar product called HFS Navigator? Thanks in advance.

I think you are referring to SFVolINIT, which lets you click on the
drive icon in SFGet/PutFile to get a pop-up menu that let's you,
among other things, create a new folder in the current folder. Very
useful. It was written by the author of Stuffit. I'm not sure if
it comes with Stuffit or not, but it is available on archives and the
like.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/27/89)

In article <1514@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>A while ago I saw some info on an init a guy won a contest with
>which replaces the drive button in the open/close dialogs with

	SFVolInit, written by Raymond Lau (author of StuffIt) is
possibly the one you're thinking of. I just acquired a copy last night and
I'm in the process of trying it out; when you click on the label with
the disk name, you get a pop-up menu which lets you choose different
volumes.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (01/27/89)

In article <1094@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <1514@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>A while ago I saw some info on an init a guy won a contest with
>>which replaces the drive button in the open/close dialogs with
>
>	SFVolInit, written by Raymond Lau (author of StuffIt) is
>possibly the one you're thinking of. I just acquired a copy last night and
>I'm in the process of trying it out; when you click on the label with
>the disk name, you get a pop-up menu which lets you choose different
>volumes.
>
>Rich Siegel

In addition to what Rich described, SFVolInit also does what QuickFolder
does.  Not only do you get a pop-up menu of all the volumes mounted on
your desktop, but also it can create a new folder from within the
save/open box (which is what QuickFolder does).  Another funtion
of SFVolInit is that it can show the FreeSpace on each of the volumes
(I believe that QuickFolder doesn't have this function, correct me if I
am wrong).

"VOX CLAMANTIS IN DESERTO" -- ahh, who else do I speak for!
Xiaoxia  Ye               Internet/Bitnet    xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College                   /UUCP:   Xiaoxia.Ye@dartmouth.edu

aa0s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adel Talaat Assaad) (01/28/89)

Hi,

 Raymond Lau, of Stuffit fame, also wrote a shareware package of
stuffit-related utilities bundled as Stuffit utilities. I believe it
is $18 for that package, and it comes with the totally unrelated INIT
called SFVol.  This INIT produces a Pop-up menu when you click in the
SFgetfile dialog box (Save as... or Open...) on the ICON next to the
name of the drive.

 The pop-up menu gives a list of all available drives, allowing you to
switch between them, and allows you to create a new folder and enter
it, as well as gives you the free space on volumes.  It should be
obtainable from info-mac on sumex or GEnie or Compu$erve, etc...

I've had for a short while now, and it seems to work well on a 2meg
MacII with system 6.0.2.

I hope this info. wasn't inappropriate, this I can only guess at the
function of Navigator and "SFDriveIn".

A. Assaad
CMU student
Pittsburgh, PA