[comp.sys.mac] Text formatting when uploading to UNIX system

jdf@pbhyc.PacBell.COM (2N650Q-Jack Fine) (01/24/89)

I have been using a mac now for several months.  I am a convert from a
MS-DOS based system.  I have gotten the mac to do everything the MS-DOS
system did and much more er...except for one thing.  When I upload to a
UNIX system my text files are at best unformatted.  At worst, total
garbage.  I am using Red Ryder 10.3.  My word processor is Fullwrite and I
am saving my files to ascii before sending.  When I monkey around with the
options I can get the files transferred but they appear to VI as a single,
very long, line and all formatting is gone.  Any ideas?  Get another DC(other
than RR) program?  Different format for upload files?  Settings on RR?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack Fine

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929] Brian Gilstrap) (01/25/89)

In article <1320@pbhyc.PacBell.COM> jdf@pbhyc.PacBell.COM (2N650Q-Jack Fine) writes:
>I have been using a mac now for several months.  I am a convert from a
>MS-DOS based system.  I have gotten the mac to do everything the MS-DOS
>system did and much more er...except for one thing.  When I upload to a
>UNIX system my text files are at best unformatted.  At worst, total
>garbage.  I am using Red Ryder 10.3.  My word processor is Fullwrite and I
>am saving my files to ascii before sending.  When I monkey around with the
>options I can get the files transferred but they appear to VI as a single,
>very long, line and all formatting is gone.  Any ideas?  Get another DC(other
>than RR) program?  Different format for upload files?  Settings on RR?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jack Fine

I believe that the you can get around this by diddling with the settings
during transfer.  I suspect your problems are due to CR/LF versus NL kinds
of things.  As a result, you many need to diddle on both ends.  I've forgotten
if RR has a "Add a newline to the end of each line" option or not.  This is
probably what you need to do (or something like it).  I'm sure there's someone
out there who can provide info...

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929
#include <std_disclaimers.h>

gjh@tybalt.caltech.edu (Greg J. Hiscott) (01/26/89)

>	jdf@pbhyc.PacBell.COM (2N650Q-Jack Fine) writes:

>	When I monkey around with the
>	options I can get the files transferred but they appear to VI as a single,
>	very long, line and all formatting is gone.  Any ideas?  Get another DC(other
>	than RR) program?  Different format for upload files?  Settings on RR?
>
>	Any help would be appreciated.

>	Jack Fine

You need a DA or application program that takes a text file
and converts CRs to LFs.

You could add LFs to CRs if you want.
By the way, LF means linefeed and CR means carriage return.

+-------+    Greg Hiscott   The human network-gateway.      +-------+
|+-----+|    gjh@ligo.caltech.edu                           |+-----+|
|+-----+|    USPS:Caltech, 102-33, Pasadena, CA 91125       |+-----+|
+-------+    Ph#(818)356-2974      FAX:(818)304-9834        +-------+

schase@pollux.usc.edu (Scott Chase) (01/29/89)

In article <1320@pbhyc.PacBell.COM> jdf@pbhyc.PacBell.COM (2N650Q-Jack Fine) writes:
>I have been using a mac now for several months.  I am a convert from a
>MS-DOS based system.  I have gotten the mac to do everything the MS-DOS
>system did and much more er...except for one thing.  When I upload to a
>UNIX system my text files are at best unformatted.  At worst, total
>garbage.  I am using Red Ryder 10.3.  My word processor is Fullwrite and I
>am saving my files to ascii before sending.  When I monkey around with the
>options I can get the files transferred but they appear to VI as a single,
>very long, line and all formatting is gone.  Any ideas?  Get another DC(other
>than RR) program?  Different format for upload files?  Settings on RR?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jack Fine

A quick and dirty way to go from Mac to UNIX is to issue the command

	cat > filename

where filename will be the name of the unix file created. After typing
this line (with a CR), the UNIX system will be waiting for input from
std input. Select the "Send text file" command from the RR menu, and the
file will be echoed as it is sent. When done, make sure there is a blank
line at the end of the file or hit a CR to make one, then ^D for end of
file. The file should be transfered OK. (Note: this only works for text
files). You can also receive text files the same way, using

	cat UNIXfile

without a CR, then select "Receive text file" from RR. After selecting the
file, then hit a CR to activate the UNIX command.

You can also send text files using Kermit, if you have it on your UNIX system.
Just make sure the file type is set to text (if applicable), and set the
Mac Kermit preferences to strip linefeeds.

         Scott Chase            schase@pollux.usc.edu
                                iak8sct@oac.ucla.edu