[comp.sys.mac] UnBinHexing Problems

sobiloff@thor.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) (01/29/89)

For the past couple of weeks I've been having problems with the downloads from
the mac binaries and no one has been able to come up with a solution yet.  When
I download one of the files and try to UnBinHex it I keep on getting CRC$ errors
and the job fails.  This happens with both BinHex 4.0 and 5.0.  If I use Stuffit
1.5.x it will UnBinHex them, but with a warning that the file might be damaged.
When I try to unStuff'em I get the message that the Resource Header is trashed
and the job aborts.

I've talked with the system administrator here and he has no idea why things
aren't working.  BTW, I have tried Red Ryder, VersaTerm, and Kermit for down-
IIx with a direct line running at 9600 baud (FYI, in case it helps).  I'm
getting REALLY frustrated (I want GateKeeper and MandelZot!!!), so if anyone
can come up with some suggestions I would be very greatful.

Thanks...
Blake "Hey, where's MY fancy footer?" Sobiloff

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (01/29/89)

Clearly, there is an incompatibility between the StuffIt and the
BinHex program, so that a file binhexed with StuffIt sometimes
cannot be unbinhexed using the BinHex program. Then just use StuffIt
to unbinhex the file.

I found out about this thanks to Dave Platt, who wrote the nice
MandelZot program.

Hans Aberg

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone CS.DEPT) (01/30/89)

In article <1030@thor.stolaf.edu> sobiloff@thor.UUCP (Blake Sobiloff) writes:
>For the past couple of weeks I've been having problems with the downloads from
>the mac binaries and no one has been able to come up with a solution yet.  When
>I download one of the files and try to UnBinHex it I keep on getting CRC$ errors
>and the job fails.  This happens with both BinHex 4.0 and 5.0.  If I use Stuffit
>1.5.x it will UnBinHex them, but with a warning that the file might be damaged.
>When I try to unStuff'em I get the message that the Resource Header is trashed
>and the job aborts.
>
>Thanks...
>Blake "Hey, where's MY fancy footer?" Sobiloff

I find that "cleaning" up the header text with a text editor like MacSink or
Sigma-Edit usually gets rid of the offending chars. If you use rn, and save the
binaries with w ../MacStuff/fname, it automatically appends the saved portion to
to the file fname, however you get header info between the files. Using the find
option, search for "part", and eradicate the unwanted text between parts. Or use
the bhcomb script that was posted a while back.

||	   Andrew Stone	            ??		2 + 2 = 5;		||
||         stone@hydra.unm.edu	    <> 	    for sufficiently large 2    ||