[comp.sys.mac] Is Hard Drives International for real?

jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) (01/27/89)

Has anyone had any good/bad dealings with Hard Drives International?
The reason I am asking is that they have an ad in the latest issue
of MacWorld for a 60 mb Seagate hard drive for $589.   This seems a
little too good to be true, so I thought I'd see if anyone has had
dealings with this company or its products.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Bryan Jimison                   | D:  I speak for me.  Leave BGSU alone!
451 Thurstin Ave. #102          | UUCP: ...!cbatt!osu-cis!bgsuvax!jimison
Bowling Green, OH 43402         | CSnet: jimison@andy.bgsu.edu

lauac@ute.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (01/27/89)

In article <3475@bgsuvax.UUCP> jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) writes:

>Has anyone had any good/bad dealings with Hard Drives International?
>The reason I am asking is that they have an ad in the latest issue
>of MacWorld for a 60 mb Seagate hard drive for $589.   This seems a
>little too good to be true, so I thought I'd see if anyone has had
>dealings with this company or its products.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Bryan

>Bryan Jimison                   | D:  I speak for me.  Leave BGSU alone!

Against my better judgement, I went and ordered a drive from them
without ever hearing of them before, since I saw their ads in three
magazines (MacWorld, MacUser and BYTE).

They seemed very nice, told me that the drive I was ordering (a 45 Mb
MiniScribe drive, I don't trust Seagate) was backordered for two weeks,
and they can take my order now and send it out when they're ready.
They have a customer service number that you can call to check on the
status of your order, and I paid by credit card so I could stop payment
if they charged me before the drive came.

All in all, they seem legit; I think they did OEM work on IBM-type
SCSI drives to make them with a Mac. Add power supplies, cases, etc.

--- Alex
{ihnp4,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/27/89)

In article <3475@bgsuvax.UUCP> jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) writes:

>Has anyone had any good/bad dealings with Hard Drives International?

I haven't had any mail order dealings with them, since they are just
down the street.  But I have purchased several drives over the counter
from them, and am completely satisfied so far with the price and support.
They are apparently doing so well they have outgrown their original
office space and are currently in the process of moving.  Last Monday
I went to pick up a drive and they had everything packed up, floor
to ceiling, in massive boxes.  They are probably back to normal operations
by now in their new location.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

rrr@cup.portal.com (Roger Rock Rosner) (01/29/89)

I bought a Seagate ST-277R from them this summer.  All was well and their
price was the lowest anywhere.

-Roger

armstrng@dalcs.UUCP (Stan Armstrong) (01/30/89)

I bought a Seagate ST-277N from them last fall. All is well, and their
price was five dollars higher than the lowest.

Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET