[comp.sys.mac] C for the Macintosh

PAK105@PSUVM.BITNET (01/28/89)

What are the chances that either Microsoft or Borland will release
a version of C for the Macintosh?  I really enjoy Tubo Pascal's
programming environment, and think it would be neat to see something
similar for C.  Whaddya say?  Any company exec listening?

Peter A. Krupa (a.k.a. Spiny_Norman)
Garfield Thomas Water Tunnel
Applied Research Laboratory (ksn@psuarlb)
State College, PA

Disclaimer?  I don't need a disclaimer.  Why, my memory is so bad,

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (01/28/89)

In article <68963PAK105@PSUVM> PAK105@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>programming environment, and think it would be neat to see something
>similar for C.  Whaddya say?  Any company exec listening?

  Have you tried Light Speed C, it's similar to a Turbo style enviroment
but I think it's much better.  LSC is a very good C compiler with source
code debugging, automatic make files, and all sorts of feature's that make
C people drool all over themselves.
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (01/31/89)

A year ago at MacWorld, Borland was there.  (This year I never made
it out of Moscone so perhaps they were over at Brooks Hall).  I asked
a guy whether I should purchase Lightspeed C or wait for their
offering, and he said 'If you need it in 6 months to a year, buy
what you can get today'.  Seemed to imply that about now we should
see a Mac Borland C.  On the other hand, Borland is doing alot
of PC development and has alot of distractions with spreadsheets
and such, so we may not find a high priority there.

I agree about the Turbo environment - I've been using Lightspeed
for small projects, and really don't care for it.  Maybe if my
projects were larger and more 'production oriented' I'd like it
more, but it seems to have a high threshold of pain and annoyence
to learn...

mbk