[comp.sys.mac] MacSE SIMMS

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (09/15/87)

Can someone please tell me which SIMMs are compatible with the SE?  Can
I use any SIMM upgrade advertised as Mac+ compatible, or are there hidden
problems?  How about pricing?  What are the best places to get these
upgrades?  Which ones void the warranty? (My SE is new).

Jeff Sullivan
jasst3@cisunx.UUCP, jasper@pittvms.bitnet

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (09/19/87)

In article <3875@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>Can someone please tell me which SIMMs are compatible with the SE?  Can
>I use any SIMM upgrade advertised as Mac+ compatible, or are there hidden
>problems?  How about pricing?  What are the best places to get these
>upgrades?  Which ones void the warranty? (My SE is new).

1.  What SIMMS are compatible:
    For upgrade purposes, you need 1 MB CMOS SIMMS of either 120 or
    150 ns.  The 150 nanoseconds are alright for MacPluses and SEs, but
    not fast enough for the Mac II.  (I recommend getting 120s so  you may
    be able to transfer them to a Mac II at a later date.

2.  Most SIMM upgrades that are advertised for the Mac+ should work on an
    SE, but you must be wary.  Most upgrades are a piggyback board that
    just add another 4 256K SIMMs -- I'm not sure how flexible these are
    towards the SE - I've heard that sometimes they do not fit well size-wise.
    Best thing to do is call up Dove, Levco, or any other vendor you're
    interested in -- they'll know.  Many have separate ones that fit in
    the SE's expansion slot.

3.  Pricing.  Piggyback boards with 1MB upgrade for Pluses and SEs are
    running $250.  Upgrades which let you swap 2 1MB SIMMs for 2 256K SIMMs
    are running $550-$600 or thereabouts.

4.  Best place - both Dove and Levco have a good reputation for upgrades.

5.  Which one voids warranties.  That I'm not quite sure about seeing as I've
    already chosen to do an upgrade myself with the 1MB SIMMs swap.  I
    already know this will void my warranty.  (It's just about off anyway.)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  //           UUCP: isle@dartvax                    //  Join the
____________//          BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu          //   SMILE :)

mikeoro@hubcap.UUCP (Michael K O'Rourke) (01/25/89)

I read here a week or so ago that someone thought that the 256K SIMMS from
the MacSE were 120ns, Mac II compatible.  Does anyone know if this is really
true?  Is there a way to tell from looking at the numbers on the chips?

If they are Mac II compatible, I am willing to sell them. I have two of them
and would let them go for $100 as a pair.

Michael O'Rourke
Clemson University

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/26/89)

> I read here a week or so ago that someone thought that the 256K SIMMS from
> the MacSE were 120ns, Mac II compatible.  Does anyone know if this is really
> true?  Is there a way to tell from looking at the numbers on the chips?

> If they are Mac II compatible, I am willing to sell them. I have two of them
> and would let them go for $100 as a pair.

You should be able to tell by looking at the last two digits of the numbers
on the chips - these will be either '12' (for 120 ns) or '15' (for 150 ns).

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (01/27/89)

In article <4195@hubcap.UUCP>, mikeoro@hubcap.UUCP (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
> I read here a week or so ago that someone thought that the 256K SIMMS from
> the MacSE were 120ns, Mac II compatible.  Does anyone know if this is really
> true?  Is there a way to tell from looking at the numbers on the chips?
>
> If they are Mac II compatible, I am willing to sell them. I have two of them
> and would let them go for $100 as a pair.
>
> Michael O'Rourke
> Clemson University

I believe that I saw a posting that stated that apple shipped SE's and Pluses
with the 120ns chips after jan 1987.  I have a plus that I purchased in Jan
of '88, and it has 150ns chips.  Also, I have done upgrades on several SE's
that are relatively new... and I have seen both 120 and 150 ns chips.  I
have even seen an SE with 120 and 150 in the same bank!!! (I understand taht
this is not supposed to be a functional configuration).

Anyhow, the whole point here is... if the chips have a number ending in 12,
they are 120ns, if the number ends in 15, they are 150ns... and if then end
in 10, they are 100ns.  Only 120 or faster work in the II.

Now that that is all said and done... I have 4x256K SIMMS, 120ns, for sale...
If anyone is intersted, I will entertain offers.....  (I also have a whole
slew of 150ns simms... if anyone really wants them.)

Keith

elliston@rob.uucp
     -or-
uunet!rob!elliston

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/27/89)

<
<If they are Mac II compatible, I am willing to sell them. I have two of them
<and would let them go for $100 as a pair.

I posted the original article by quoting Chris Espinosa who writes The Help
Folder in MacUser. However, several people replied both here and in the
mail that this simply isn't true. If there are any numbers on the chips,
why don't you post them and we'll see if there is a 12 or 15 on them
someplace.

Shirley Kehr

mikeoro@hubcap.UUCP (Michael K O'Rourke) (01/31/89)

> In article <4195@hubcap.UUCP> mikeoro@hubcap.UUCP (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
> <I read here a week or so ago that someone thought that the 256K SIMMS from
> <the MacSE were 120ns, Mac II compatible.  Does anyone know if this is really
> <true?  Is there a way to tell from looking at the numbers on the chips?
>
> I posted the original article by quoting Chris Espinosa who writes The Help
> Folder in MacUser. However, several people replied both here and in the
> mail that this simply isn't true. If there are any numbers on the chips,
> why don't you post them and we'll see if there is a 12 or 15 on them
> someplace.

Well, they aren't mac II compatible. It turned out they had 15's on them. In
other words, they are 150ns simms. So I guess they aren't work much.

Michael O'Rourke

Disclaimer: don't sue me or i'll kill you.