[comp.sys.mac] WriteNow,Suitcase,SuperLaserSpool --> Crash

royer@savax.UUCP (tom royer) (01/30/89)

Maybe this has been discussed before, but if so, I missed it.

I'm running a Mac Plus, without multifinder, SuperLaserSpool,
Suitcase.  I do backups with DiskFit.

I have a font folder with a suitcase file for normalfonts (which tend to be
Imagewrite oriented), and one with Helvetica, Times, and the Zapf dingbats
(which I use for Laserwriter output, although I don't have one of my own).

Sunday was the first time with this precise combination of elements
(SuperLaserSpool, Suitcase, DiskFit, etc.) and the first time I had
organized my fonts this way.

My problems first appeared when I did a massive font change in a WriteNow
2.0 document from New York to Times.  The reformat went OK, and I could
even print the Times version on my Imagewriter -- as long as I didn't quit
WriteNow while SuperLaserSpool was printing.  If I did quit WriteNow,
the result was a system crash, ID=02.

Later on, while backing up my system, DiskFit choked on the suitcase file
with Helvetica, Times, and Zapf Dingbats, absolutely refusing to proceed (I
can't quote the error message precisely, but DiskFit definitely thought
that the disk was messed up and continually wanted to reformat the current
one or to use a new one).

I'm sure that the WriteNow behavior and the DiskFit problems are related to
the suitcase font file.  It's huge -- about 773K.  Its origin, by the way,
is a Microsoft PowerPoint upgrade distribution disk containing presentation
fonts.

Question:  what have I done to myself?  Is there some incompatibility
between WriteNow, SuperLaserSpool, Suitcase, and fonts of (maybe) FontDA
Mover?  I do know that WriteNow and SuperLaserSpool can get into problems
if Tall Adjusted is selected for a document and it's printed at Normal
resolution (because WriteNow attempts to background spool the file itself).

Thanks for any help.

--
Tom Royer              Sanders Associates, A Lockheed Company
                       MER24-1283, CS2034          (603)-885-9171

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (02/02/89)

In article <839@savax.UUCP>, royer@savax.UUCP (tom royer) writes:

> I could ... print ... on my Imagewriter -- as long as I didn't quit
> WriteNow while SuperLaserSpool was printing.  If I did quit WriteNow,
> the result was a system crash, ID=02.
>
> Later on, ... DiskFit choked on the suitcase file ...

With versions of SuperLaserSpool earlier than 2.0, quitting an application
while a document using fonts in a suitcase file was being printed would
cause a crash.  This problem was independent of the application being used,
and was fixed in SuperLaserSpool 2.0.

It's hard to say what the crash might have done to the open suitcase file;
if restarting did not clear up the problem, the file probably needs to be
replaced.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)