[comp.sys.mac] Background file transfer

ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI) (01/25/89)

Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?
I think I read in a magazine about DA on public domain to transfer files in
background, but I don't quite remember the name.

                 Katsu Suzuki
                  U of Michigan, Ann Arbor

jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (01/28/89)

> Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?

MS Works 2.0 allows you to open the communication module, begin uploading or
downloading a file, and open any other module (word processor, spreadsheet, or
database) while the transfer is going on.  You can't open another application,
but I Works is so useful that this isn't a problem for me.

Jay
jay@astro.as.utexas.edu

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (01/30/89)

>Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?
>I think I read in a magazine about DA on public domain to transfer files in
>background, but I don't quite remember the name.

There's a DA called Backgrounder (at SUMEX, I believe) that does this.

-Ted

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/31/89)

In article <3570@utastro.UUCP> jay@utastro.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>> Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?
>>
>MS Works 2.0 allows you to open the communication module, begin uploading or
>downloading a file, and open any other module (word processor, spreadsheet, or
>database) while the transfer is going on.  You can't open another application,
>but I Works is so useful that this isn't a problem for me.
>
>Jay
>jay@astro.as.utexas.edu

This is true; however... Anything that pauses the download can cause it to
abort.  For example, holding down the mouse button too long in the other
application (ie. drawing) or almost ANY file transfer activity.  I even lost
a download due to recalculation of my checkbook spreadsheet (admittedly large
at the end of a year).  Some hosts are more sensitive to download interruptions
than others though.

--
Maurice      lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA

DISCLAIMER:  Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
             constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (02/02/89)

In article <7380002@hpwrce.HP.COM> ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) writes:
>>Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?
>There's a DA called Backgrounder (at SUMEX, I believe) that does this.

Not quite.  There is a (shareware?) DA called "BackDown gamma" that I
first saw quite a while ago.  I have never tried it.  I use VersaTerm
under MultiFinder (when I am plugged into a machine with enough
memory).

(Backgrounder is a system thingie that will start up PrintMonitor when
you are spooling to a LaserWriter under MultiFinder.

Question: Does anybody know whether Backgrounder can watch for other
conditions and launch other applications?  Will it someday become a
chron-like beastie?)

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/03/89)

>>Does anybody out there know any program that enables background file transfer?
>>I think I read in a magazine about DA on public domain to transfer files in
>>background, but I don't quite remember the name.
>
>There's a DA called Backgrounder (at SUMEX, I believe) that does this.

There's also a DA called BackDown which does a fairly good job.

mark